Breast feeding after full Areola incision? (Photo)

Hello I was just wondering I had a full areola insicion under the muscle saline implants, will I still be able to breastfeed if I get pregnant 5 years from now ? Or does anyone know someone whom was able to breastfeed successfully?

Breast-feeding after breast surgery

Firstly, it seems that you have beautiful results. Many women are able to breast-feed normally after various breast surgeries, but this may depend on your surgeons choice of flap design. You should check with your plastic surgeon to get more information and a better idea of whether they think you would be able to breast-feed. With or without surgery, there is a significant percent of woman who cannot breast-feed for a number of other reasons.

Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding after breast surgery

Patients that have had a breast augmentation with implants typically can breast feed without a problem. Likewise patients that have had a breast lift or breast reduction can breast feed without difficulty. We have had many patients in our practice that have become pregnant a year to years after having these procedures and have enjoyed breast feeding without any issues at all.

Leo McCafferty, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding after areola incision

Your breasts look great! Congratulations! it depends a lot on whether or not you could breast feed before the surgery. If you could, chances are very high that you will still be able to after even an incision all the way around. If you have never tried breast feeding prior to your surgery, it unfortunately, will be impossible to know whether or not you will be able to and if not, whether it is because of surgery or other issues. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding and scar.

Thanks for your question. I have had countless patients go on to breastfeed even with an areolar incision. The ducts can be cut during this approach, but the system is 360 degrees around the areola and quite redundant. It is safest to have a backup plan just in case, but the odds are in your favor.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Can I breast feed

Congratulations on your recent surgery!  I am not going to say for certainty you will be able to breast feed , however some patients have had no problem with breast feeding following this type of surgery.  Best of luck!

Breast feeding after full Areola incision?

Yes, I have had many patients who have been able to successfully breast feed after breast lifting or breast reduction surgery (all involving complete circumareolar incisions).  Of course, no one can promise but it is quite likely. Best wishes.

Breast feeding after full Areola incision

Lots of women have been able to successfully breast-feed after a vertical type mastopexy technique. This is not been fully studied and for sure there are women who have not been successful. It probably depends somewhat on the technique of elevating your nipple and how much rest milk producing tissue was left in the the nipple. Your surgeon will be able to advise you on this and give you an idea. Remember, even without surgery, some women cannot successfully breast-feed.

Breastfeeding after mastopexy

should be anticipated but if some of your milk ducts were injured during your procedure, your ability to breast feed is diminished.  Also realize that women who have not had surgery are unable to breast feed and that could also happen here.

Curtis Wong, MD