I want to remove Gynecomastia, I am 21 and don't have insurance, which insurance covers this cost for me? (photos)

I am about to get health insurance for 2015 which has maximum monthly premium of $15 to $20. I have Male breast, its not bad but I want to remove it. I've had it since I was 12/13 and I think its the best time to get it out. I don't understand insurance policies so I want best advice from best Doctor who can help me change my life. Which insurance covers all of the fee for this surgery? I cant afford to pay so I need to get insurance for around $200 and let them cover my fees.

Estimated Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery

According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons the average #cost of #gynecomastia surgery can vary widely. #Surgery quotes should include the procedure itself, operating room facilities, anesthesia fees, surgeon’s fees, medical tests, post-surgery garments, prescription medication and other related costs. Most plastic surgery offices offer convenient finance plans that allow patients to pay a low monthly payment.  Costs will also vary with geographic location. Estimated costs can be found here on RealSelf.com, PlasticSurgery.org or Surgery.org.

It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Insurance and Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi Johnprj,

Unfortunately insurance typically does not cover gynecomastia surgery. Whereas insurance providers more commonly cover female breast reduction, the same does not hold true for male breast reduction. The only situation where I have seen insurance cover some aspect of the surgery is when a man is having significant, debilitationg pain from the breast tissue.  The insurance companies typically require documentation of this, such as physical therapy/chiropractic notes, evidence that patient is on pain medication without any improvement of the pain, etc. 

My recommendation is that if this is something that truly bothers you, to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery. Just don't expect that any insurance will cover the procedure.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

I want to remove Gynecomastia, I am 21 and don't have insurance, which insurance covers this cost for me?

Insurance will not cover cosmetic procedures. Look at reviews and before and after pictures as well as credentials to select your surgeon.

Gynecomastia Not Covered by Insurance for Most

It would be highly unusual for insurance to cover  common gynecomastia as is considered a cosmetic procedure by most.

Is Gynecomastia Correction Covered by Insurance?

Gynecomastia is almost never covered by insurance. In my practice, I have never had a patient covered for this. Unfortunately, when patients call their health insurance company, they can easily be misled to think that they would indeed be covered. I suspect in an extenuating situation where there is absolute medical necessity, they may consider preauthorization.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

To my knowledge, no insurance reliably covers this condition and its treatments.  However, the surgery may be more affordable than you think.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia Covered by Insurance

Unless the procedure is medically necessary most health insurance companies will no cover the procedure. Contact your carrier to find out what are the requirements.  

Good Luck

Gynecomastia and insurance

Most insurance companies do not cover gynecomastia reduction as it is considered cosmetic and not medically necessary. Also it would be considered a preexisting condition that will not be covered. I suggest finding a PS that accepts Care Credit and then apply for credit and if you do not have a strong enough credit history find a family member who might cosign for you to help you finance this procedure.

David Liland, MD

Gynecomastia, insurance coverage

It is very uncommon to have insurance cover the correction of gynecomastia, as that is almost always a cosmetic procedure.  You may check with some different insurance carriers, though, to see what their specific policy is regarding that procedure.
Take care.

Gynecomastia coverage

Rarely to never is gynecomastia ever covered by insurance. From what I can see, you are an excellent candidate for gynecomastia surgery, however it will be cosmetic.  In addition, your doctors are not the best source to find out what insurance will best suit your needs. We only know how insurance meets ours and cannot advise a patient on the best insurance coverage.  

Melinda Haws, MD