Gynecomastia; Does the pull-through method reduce the risk of nerve damage to this area?

Hello, I am a 41 year old male with mild gynecomastia of the "puffy nipples" type. Retaining nipple sensation is important to me. Does the pull-through method reduce the risk of nerve damage to this area? Note that I had liposuction of this area several years ago with no ill effects to sensation. Thanks

Risks Associated with Gynecomastia Surgery

The treatment of gynecomastia involves removing the tissue that is causing the chest to look puffy or enlarged. In most cases this involves removing 100% of the breast tissue. However, sometimes a very small amount of tissue may need to be left behind to avoid any contour abnormalities. For this reason, it is always discussed with patients that if they continue steroid use after surgery there is a chance that gynecomastia may return, albeit to a lesser degree.

As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery.
Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

Pull through procedure and sensation.

The pull through procedure is a minimal invasive procedure, but normal sensation is never guaranteed. If it is important to you then you may not want to risk it. Good Luck

Miguel Delgado, MD

I have used the technique frequently without compromising nipple sensation.  I believe your risk is low but discuss this concern in detail with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question and any technique that successfully removes the gland may be associated with changes in sensation though complete loss of sensation is rare

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Gynecomastia

there is a well-established technique that uses a small incision in the armpit and a specialized instrument to pulverize the remaining gland tissue which can then be suctioned out. Find someone in your area that does this operation routinely and you should be pretty happy with it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon