How is recovery for breast augmentation second time?

Very painful recovery the first time. Nothing but Motrin seemed to help me with pain. My implants were placed under the muscle at 250cc 10 years ago. I am looking to go up to 350-400cc. I have 2 young children so I am hoping it's much easier.

This is a common question asked by patients. Often patients find that secondary procedures to be less painful, and that they have a quicker recovery. Because the skin and the breast pockets have already stretched from the initial surgery, there is typically minimal discomfort.

Secondary breast augment pain

I find that patients do extremely well with reaugmentation.  Because the breast pocket has already been dissected and the muscle stretched, there is less pain the second time around and recovery is quicker.

Generally speaking, revisionary breast augmentation surgery of the type that you are contemplating tends to be associated with less discomfort and recovery time that initial breast augmentation surgery. This is because the breast implant pocket has been previously dissected/expanded. 
 Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Revision implants

Often the revision is less painful than the primary surgery, but this depends upon how much work needs to be done during the revision. Best of luck.

For my patients secondaries are usually much easier and less painful. The only exception is if we need to change where the implant is , or totally remove the capsule.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Second Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your question.

A revision breast augmentation is not very painful because most of the pocket is already dissected and completely healed.  If the pockets for the new larger implants are not sufficient, new dissection in selected areas will be necessary and these areas will be sore post op.

Best of luck in your revision Breast surgery.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Pain after secondary breast augmentation

It sounds like your surgery will be quite straightforward, therefore your recovery should be a breeze. For most patients, work loss is only the day of surgery.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Usually very little pain

Unless there is major adjustment or corrections of deformities, most patients feel almost no pain afterwards.  

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Recovery

Usually the second surgery hurts less since the pec muscle has already adapted to the implant.  But switching to a larger implant will probably require enlarging the pocket and will stretch the muscle a bit. Just like with a primary augmentation, I'd recommend having child care support for the first week just to be sure.

Keith J. Attkiss, MD
Greenwich Plastic Surgeon

Second breast augmentation

Usually, a second breast augmentation is less painful and much easier to recover from since the muscle space was already made. Going larger may have some discomfort, muscle relaxers with Motrin can help a lot.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your concerns.