Do pushups make gynecomastia bigger? (Photo)

I think I have gynocomastia. I'm yet to go to the docters because my parents find it unreasonable and frankly stupid, and they keep telling me I'm fine. Anyway I think I have this, I've been doing about 6 sets of 20 diamond pushups every other day, I try to be outside on most days a couple hours running around or riding my bike. I eat 2200 calories a day and I weigh 129-131 pounds at a height of 5'5. Bottom line is, will pushups make my gynocomastia worse? And will it leave natural?

Causes of Gynecomastia

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.
According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast #enlargement.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you.
The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Do pushups make gynecomastia bigger?

Hi Igotquestions,

Thanks for the post and photos. The short answer is that push ups will not make the gynecomastia worse. However, increasing the size of the pec muscles can push out the breast tissue that is sitting in front of it making.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Do push ups make gynecomastia bigger?

No, doing push ups will not make gynecomastia larger.  Performing push ups will enlarge the pectoralis muscle.  Keep up the good work!

Chad Robbins, MD

Do pushups make gynecomastia bigger

Push-ups or other chest exercises should not make gynecomastia bigger. Of course, exercising your chest muscles will increase the bulk of the muscle which will cause possible further projection of gynecomastia which is resting on the muscle. Keep up the training.

Do pushups make gynecomastia bigger?

Thank you for the question and pictures. No, push-ups or any other exercise that increases your muscle mass will not worsen gynecomastia. If you remain concerned about the appearance of your chest wall seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Do pushups make gynecomastia bigger?

The simple answer to your question is no.
Push ups exercise and enlarge the pectoralis major muscle which sits under the breast.

What is it, specifically, you don't like about your chest?
(shape of your pects/asymmetry?)

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS

Gynaecomastia

One of my colleagues above says you do have gynaecomastia (mild) and the other says you don't! That must be a bit confusing for you. While your chest looks pretty normal to me, if there is a small, firm mass or hardness under your nipple then that is likely to be gynaecomastia. One needs to look AND feel before one can make a diagnosis. If there is, and it bugs you, then you can get it surgically fixed (there is no other way). If it does not bug you, leave it alone. Training your pecs, as has been said, will enlarge your muscle, have no bearing on the breast tissue, but larger pecs can push any breast tissue forward and make it more visible.

Dirk Lazarus, MD
South Africa Plastic Surgeon

Push ups...

...will enlarge your muscle but will have no bearing on underlying breast tissue.  Some men do feel that the more they work out the more noticeable their nipples become.  

Tim Neavin, MD

Pushups and gynecomastia

Pushups will increase the size of your pectoralis muscles, but should not affect your gynecomastia.  You do have mild gynecomastia and this can be corrected with surgery.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Do pushups make gynecomastia bigger?

Thank you for your photographs and questions.  Based on your pictures, it does not appear that you are suffering from gynecomastia, but the only way to truly determine is through an in-person examination.  Because gynecomastia is the development of male breast tissue, which sits above your pectorals muscles, pushups will not worsen gynecomastia.  When present, gynecomastia can spontaneously resolve, especially it there is an underlying cause that is diagnosed and addressed.  Gynecomastia that persists for more than a year is unlikely to regress, and often requires surgical intervention.  Hope that this helps.