Is it normal for it to hurt when I touch the left nipple after liposuction for gynecomastia?

I had microaire Lipo done for gynecomastia a little over three weeks ago. I am not satisfied with the results at all but that is beside the point for until revision surgery. The problem right now however is that I pain whenever I touch my left nipple but not my right one. Is it just swelling or could there be seroma ?

Pain and Discomfort After Gynecomastia Surgery

As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding. Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  Because of the fluid used to perform liposuction, and the technique used to break up and remove your breast tissue, the nerves supplying sensation to your nipple can become stretched and irritated. This can cause them to be more, or less, sensitive than before.  This typically resolves on its own, but may take several weeks to months to fully heal.  Hang in there, but voice your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  

Pain after gynecomastia surgery

Hypersensitivity is not uncommon after surgery or liposuction.  You should keep your followup with your surgeon to ensure there isn't something untoward occurring that requires treatment, but assuming not, this usually resolves with more time and healing.  In addition to time, massage to the area can help desensitize and retrain the nerves.  You can ask your surgeon whether you have healed enough to start this treatment.  Best of luck with your continued recovery.

Daniel Suver, MD
Anchorage Plastic Surgeon

Pain after liposuction

There are many causes of discomfort related to liposuction or for that matter any surgery. Often this improves with time as you heal. If concerned, see your surgeon to  make sure there is not a treatable cause like a fluid collection or infection.

Gynecomastia correction

It would be best to meet with your surgeon to be evaluated.  With that being said, having some hypersensitivity of the nipple after breast or chest procedures, such as what you describe having had done, is not uncommon.  That typically resolves during the healing process.  Good luck and take care,
Dr. Howell