Did I have true gynecomastia that requires incision or pseudo gynecomastia that only requires lipo? (photo)

I had gynecomastia liposuction only done 3 weeks ago. When I went to see my doctor I originally planned to get incision only but my doctor told me I had very little glandular tissue and he felt like liposuction only would be better than doing an incision. I do see an improvement post op but I feel like my nipples still stick out as if I have glandular tissue that is preventing a flatter chest.

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

You have a very nice result and I think this is a much better result than what you would have gotten had your surgeon removed some of the skin. I suggest you start a diet and exercise regimen to get the chest you desire at this point. With a little work on your end, I think you will be very happy.

Terry E. Restivo, DO
Napa Physician

Breast tissue and subcutaneous fat go hand in hand for both women and men in the chest area.  Some breasts are mostly fatty and some are mostly firm in both men and women.  You look as if you have had a nice improvement and it does not look like you have firm raised tissue below your areola which would require further resection, but it is hard to tell from photos.   Some of my gynecomastia patients don't need liposuction and some need liposuction exclusively, often also the muffin top area.  Your nipples look flat and I think your result will continue to improve!

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and from the photos without an examination you appear to have little body fat and consequently may have residual breast tissue.  If there is concern a mammogram will elucidate what is going on or second opinions from experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD