Gynecomastia or chest fat? (Photo)

Lost 30 pounds I'm now 133 and my height is 5'5 ft, I'm 16, my "manboobs" were way more pronounced now they are smaller but I don't know if this fat or not, I'm pretty sure it's gynecomastia cuz I feel a mass behind my nipple, is surgery in evitable?

Doctor Answers 12

Consult with a Board Certified Surgeon to Better Determine

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
And thank you for the photos.  Weight loss can result in excess skin.  There is probably still some fat and glandular tissue.  If skin doesn't retract after weight loss then your best option may be surgery.  A good start is a consult from a board certified plastic surgeon. More information is available in the link attached.

Tim Neavin, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

Gynecomastia or chest fat?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be proud of this accomplishment!  Given that you "feel a mass", it is likely that you are dealing with gynecomastia. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis.  In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue;  peripheral chest liposuction surgery may also be helpful.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Congrats on the weight loss.  If you are feeling a mass behind your nipple, most likely you have gynecomastia.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

Gynecomastia Surgery or Liposuction for Male Breast Enlargement ?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It if feels firmer, there could be some excess breast tissue.  A skilled plastic surgeon can identify the problem easily, although MRI, X-Ray, or ultrasound can be helpful to further identify the amount of excess tissue vs. excess fat. 

With excess breast tissue and skin, you will need direct skin excisions.  In general, the scars are very short and are barely noticeable after six months, especially in patients with no predisposition to aggressive scarring. 

On the other hand, a male breast that appears enlarge and soft--almost like a woman's--may have some excess fat.  In this situation, liposuction or fat removal is enough to correct the appearance with the use of hollowed steel tube that suctions the fat. 

Liposuction scars are very tiny that you need to take a closer look just to see the "faded dot."

Of course, the only way to make an accurate diagnosis is through personal consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs gynecomastia surgery regularly.

Hope that helps. 

Tarick K. Smiley, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 117 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. Congratulations on loosing weight. Physical exam will be helpful. If you feel mass behind nipple it is more likely glandular tissue needs excision.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Good for you, great accomplishment!
I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, your photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
With a 30 lb weight loss it may be loose skin. But if you feel tissue underneath the areola, it could be gynecomastia.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You are on the lower end of the scale of size and difficulty so the whole thing can be done through a brief operation with a tiny hole in the armpit. Find yourself a good solid board certified local plastic surgeon and you should do well.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for your questions and photos.  It's great that you have been able to lose that 30 pounds!  If the tissue that you are feeling is directly behind the nipple and is quite firm, then it is likely breast tissue and you have gynecomastia.  If it has been present for more that 18-24 months and has not changed despite your weight loss, you will likely need surgical correction if the appearance of your chest bothers you.  After discussing with your parents, please seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area should you wish to pursue a male breast reduction.  Best wishes! 

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.