Hard tissue under my nipple after gyno surgery. What is it? (Photo)

Hi,4weeks ago i had a gyno surgery .my doctor told me where the breast tissu and fat remove by liposuction but now still there is a hard tissue under my nipple that it's exactly like before surgery .i would like to know what it is?scar tissue or residual breast tissue?!

Hard tissue under nipple 4 weeks after procedure

Thank you for your questions and photos.  It is very common at this stage in your recovery to have firmness in the area where breast tissue has been removed after a male breast reduction procedure.  This is due to swelling and scar tissue formation.  I routinely recommend a moderately aggressive massage program to my post-op patients to decrease the swelling in this area which speeds the recovery process and softens the scar tissue.  If there continues to be residual firm tissue 6 months or more after your procedure, you may have had an incomplete removal and require a revision.  My best advice is to give your body time to recuperate and recover completely then re-evaluate.  Your best resource is the plastic surgeon who performed your procedure - ask them any questions that you may be having, as they will best be able to determine how your recovery is progressing.  If you desire a second opinion down the road, make sure to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  Best wishes!

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hard Tissue Under Nipple after Gyno Surgery

Your #incisions will go through a maturation #process after gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Can settle down

It is quite common to feel some hardness after surgery,for a few weeks.It should settle down with time.However it needs to be reassessed after six months.

Anup Dhir, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Nipples after gynecomastia operation

Most likely, you are feeling a small amount of breast tissue which is retained under the nipple areola. This is done to prevent collapse of the tissue in this area and a resulting indentation. This can be exaggerated by normal postoperative swelling.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon