9 months from beard transplant & lack of healing. Very red, Look at my photos ranging from last Dec to present. Regret. (photo)

9 months from beard transplant. Still red in most of recipient area (mustache) is raise above rest of the skin where hairs were transplanted. What to do to lose redness? Should redness continue to fade with time as well as the raised layer of skin? I have been to see my doctor and frankly have zero confidence. He gave me IPL light therapy into red area without impact. I need new doctor! Will go Turkey in summer for FUE into FUT scar and also redness if not gone by then. Need recommendation.

If you are having issues after surgery it is best to follow up with your surgeon first. If that does not help

If you are having issues after surgery it is best to follow up with your surgeon first.  If that does not help see another doctor for a consultation.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

What is causing your redness?

It is hard to say really.  I think the most likely answer is that some transplanted grafts still retain follicles that did not fall out.  After transplantation, transplanted hair goes dormant and the transplanted hair is supposed to fall out.  When the transplanted hair does not fall out, the follicles will initiate an inflammatory process much like a splinter in your finger.  The key is to remove all transplanted follicles so that you eliminate this inflammatory process.  You would need to see a physician that truly understands this cause in order to eliminate the problem.  

Be careful in Turkey because non-surgeons or laymen do most of the work there.  In Turkey only plastic surgeons can legally do hair transplants, but for some reason nurses with limited medical training do the work in Turkey.  The government is beginning to crack down in Turkey.  Find a physician that actually does the work should you go to Turkey.  I'd recommend Dr. Ozgur in Ankara if you are heading to Turkey.  

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

9 months from beard transplant & lack of healing. Very red, Look at my photos ranging from last Dec to present. Regret.

If you have lost confidence in your doctor you should seek out another who is well trained and qualified. Contact the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons for a recommendation in your area.

This could be folliculitis and treatable with a topical steroid, however you should seek someone reputable in hair restoration. 

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Regret

You had a beard transplant 9 months ago and now have problems with it. Go back to see your doctor and ask about your problems

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Follicular inflammation 9 months post op beard

You seem to have some ingrown hairs and chronic folliculitis.  You may need to have the offending hairs removed and replaced later and you may also need prolonged antibiotic therapy.  You really need to seek treatment as soon as possible.  I would not wait until the summer.  Happy to help you here in Boston if need be.  

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon