Can you use pubic hair for a beard transplant?

My pubic hair is very thick and has the same texture as my beard hair. Would this be possible through FUE? Is it a practical method, why or why not? I'm scared of doing scalp to beard because of hair thinning so I thought of this solution. Thank you!

Sure! Great idea!

You only have a limited amount of hair on your body.  If the hair matches in texture and caliber, then it's a great option.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Pubic hair for a beard transplant

Yes, you can use Pubic hair for a beard transplant if that is what you want to do. There are not many surgeons that would do this, but I have rarely used public hair for hair transplant donor areas

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

You can probably use pubic hair as your donor hair but you would need to discuss this with your doctor

You can probably use pubic hair as your donor hair but you would need to discuss this with your doctor and understand the risks and benefits.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Pubic Hair for Beard Transplant

The simplest answer to your question is yes, you can use your pubic hair for a beard transplant but there is really no need to do so for a beard transplant. 

Alopecia Barbae is a very specific form of hair loss. Traditional Alopecia Areata describes a condition where hair loss occurs throughout the body, Alopecia Barbae describes hair loss that occurs in the beard. For fairly obvious reasons, Alopecia Barbae is noticeable only with men, because lower levels of testosterone in women would typically prevent the formation of facial hair (specifically beards) altogether.

Bald patches in beards are actually quite common among men. They can appear under the chin, as well as throughout the sides of the neck, cheeks, and along the moustache region.

After making sure that you are a good candidate for a beard or eyebrow transplant,we will first determine a donor area that hair can be extracted from. This donor area typically resides along the rear or side regions of the patient’s scalp, the same area that would be used for any hair transplant.

Once we have extracted the required amount of hair, we transplant individual follicular units in the desired areas, to restore bald areas and create a natural-looking beard.

Because the transplanted hair will come from the back of the head, it also requires us to match natural colour of the area being transplanted. These hairs will initially grow faster and will require trimming for the 1st year or two. 

Please contact us if you have any further questions. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon