Should I wait to get hair transplant? I am 23 years old, losing hair at crown since age 19.

I am 23 years old, losing hair at crown since age 19. My question is, it beneficial to wait until hair loss is more severe or get it done sooner rather than later? My thinking is that as right now it is not too severe (for the most part i can cover it up with putting hair forward), if the missing hair from the crown is to be transplanted, would this mean over the coming years the other parts of the head not transplanted (back of head etc) would mean I would have to go back again for another op?

You need an examination to understand why you are losing hair before considering treatment options.

You need an examination to understand why you are losing hair before considering treatment options. See a doctor first.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Consultation

your first thing to do is to have a consultation with a hair restoration surgeon who can evaluate your scalp and hair, and discuss with you the non surgical as well as surgical options. You should have reasonable expectations, as well as short term and long term plans in place before rushing into surgery. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Thanks for your query. Hair transplant can be done at any age, it depends upon the grade of hair loss. IF your hair fall is not much as in it falls in Hamilton’s grade 1 or 2 then your best option would be to get a prp done and start with regular use of Minoxidil to prevent further hair fall and promote new hair growth. If the grading has gone from 3 to 4, then hair transplant can be done. The sooner it is done, the better it is. The grading can be analyzed by a dermatologist. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Transplants in 23 year old

It is not a good idea to rush into a hair transplant until your balding pattern becomes stable which may take a few more years. Rushing means that you would be using up your donor area hair and not know what in the long term what you may need. It also has the advantage to the doctor of allowing your doctor to make money from you. Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

23 y/o with hair loss in crown

Hi, Scott —

Without the benefit of any photos — let alone a face-to-face consultation — it would be inappropriate to advise you, especially since your use of the terms "crown" and "back of the head" as non-equivalents is confusing. But it is safe to say that most experienced, full-time hair transplant surgeons would agree that a 23 y/o who has been losing hair since age 19 would be wise to defer surgery and focus his efforts on stabilization: finasteride and/or minoxidil and/or low level laser therapy (LLLT) and/or PRP/ACell injections. (There may ultimately be some promise offered by stem cell therapy ["stromal vascular fraction"], but as yet there is insufficient scientific support for this.) I would suggest that you get further guidance by visiting several physicians who specialize in treating hair loss. 

Thanks for your question — I hope this has been helpful. 
Dr. Ballon

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Should I wait to get hair transplant

If the situation is problem for you and affect your psychology ,İt is not beneficial to wait until hair loss is more severe .do it sooner ..If you loose more hair in future under affect of AGA , than you may need a second session for restoration.

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon