I didn't moisten my scalp for the first 3 days after the Hair Transplant procedure, did I dry my grafts out?

I just had a hair transplant around 4 and half months ago, it was around 1500 grafts. I was instructed not to touch or wash my scalp for the first 3 days. On the 4th day i was to use baby shampoo, and so I did. I have seen some online youtube videos in which doctors advise their patients to apply a wet paper towel to moisten their scalp during the few days after the procedure. Sine I did not do this, should I be concerned that I may have lost or dried my grafts out?

Healing without hair wash for 4 days.

I suspect your grafts are intact.  I encourage patients to moisten the scalp simply to promote healing and help to expedite the healing.

Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant

The short answer is no- you probably did not affect the grafts at all, but you may have increased your recovery time.

After hair transplant, surgeons will recommend gently washing the area with water or saline to keep the area moist and prevent crusting. The grafts themselves, however, are receiving nutrients from the surrounding skin. While not following these instructions can lead to a build up of crusting and delayed healing, it is unlikely it would have a major affect on the viability of the grafts. 

You are 4 months out and often at least some of the grafts are in a temporary shock phase. Be patient, stay in close contact with your surgeon and give things time.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Did I interfere with my hair transplants taking?

Hair transplants with grow for about a month and then fall out and begin growing again a couple of months later. You probably did not cause them not to grow by what you did. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Care after hair transplant

If grafts are placed properly they won’t get dried out and the hair wash is only to minimize the scabbing. Each hair transplant physician may handle post op care slightly differently.   We recommend twice daily washing of both donor and recipient areas up until day 5 after hair transplant.  We see our patients the day after surgery and instruct them on the hair washing procedure using a sponge and a special shampoo.  Patients are to wash their hair twice a day for 4 days to help remove the crusts.  Do not rub either site, just dab the shampoo to help moisten and loosen the crusts.   You should be speaking with the physician that performed your surgery.   Patients typically lose their hair at 2-3 months but growth returns shortly thereafter at first as thin fine hair but by 8 to 12 months the hair will thicken with full growth by 12 months.  Give it more time.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

It is best to follow your doctor's advice over advice from the Internet. Don't follow advice from YouTube videos.

It is best to follow your doctor's advice over advice from the Internet. Don't follow advice from YouTube videos.  Follow your doctor's advice.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thanks for your query. You did absolutely what was required to be done post hair transplant. Continuously using wet towel is not very required. Just keep applying Minoxidil and your hair transplant will be perfect. For even the slightest doubt you can still visit your treating doctor. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Post op routine I suggest

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon