should I have 300cc implants or 350cc? (photos)

Hi, I'm getting BA in April. I'm having round silicone implants under the muscle but I can't decide whether to go 300cc or 350cc... I'm worried 300cc will be too small with them being unders. I'm 5ft9 and an athletic build. In the Image I've tried on 300cc but when they're unde the muscle will they go considerably flatter?

3-D scan

At Aurora Clinics we offer or patients a complimentary 3-D scan to see how they would look with both implants.

Our patients seem to find this very helpful in their decision on which implant would be best for them.

Please feel free to contact us to arrange a scan if you think it would be helpful.

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Silicone Implants/Anatomic Cohesive Gel Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you  is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Implant size

It is very difficult to answer this question without meeting you in person and, while the difference between 300 and 350cc is not very much, it might make a significant difference in terms of how natural you look. You need to follow the advice of your surgeon, who, presumably has examined you and has techniques available to illustrate what sort of result you will get. I have found the Vectra XT 3-Dimensional imaging system to be invaluable in helping patients communicate their wishes and proceeding with this sort of operation with confidence.

Should I have 300cc implants or 350cc?

Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.  The 50cc difference, if similar projection, will likely not make an appreciable difference for you. 

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

The right implant for you

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

Implant selection - getting the right size

Hi there. It is important to select the right implant beforehand - I would raise your concerns with your surgeon as it is impossible for anyone on this forum to give you an accurate answer without a full assessment. I always allow for a second sizing session pre-operatively. As a general comment, if you are a keen athlete, the smaller implant may well be preferable. Good luck!

300 vs 350

Thank you for your question and providing photos. I do not think there is a significant difference between those 2 sizes. I would recommend you allow your PS to place the implant that fits your chest dimensionally the best. I have found many women who try implants on end up smaller than they thought they would be. Best of luck

Your photos show a tall slender build. I am guessing your bra band to be near 32 inches. The 350cc implant will likely add 2 cups. The profile will change your look depending on your desire. Consider your activity level as well when selecting implant size. An exam with detailed measurements are helpful.Good luck.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Should I have 300cc implants or 350cc?

Thank you for the question. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,
I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Should I have 300cc implants or 350cc?

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, I have my patients try on different implant sizers within a normal bra and tight t-shirt in order to get a better feel for what's right.  These should conform to the breast dimensions measured.  Be sure to discuss these issues regarding implant size with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS