Will i have full use of my arms after breast implant surgery?

Arm use after breast surgery

I usually tell my patients to limit arm use for the first week, then slowly increase upper arms use into the second week.

Make sure you discuss with a Double-Board Certified, Double Fellowship Trained Plastic Surgeon.

Post operative instructions vary among surgeons. I recommend no heavy lifting for 6 weeks post op and no stretching or lifting arms above your shoulders for two weeks. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Recovery from a Breast Augmentation

While each board-certified plastic surgeon has their own post-op recovery recommendations, during my nearly 30 years of experience, I tell my patients that on average they will recover 6 weeks after their breast augmentation. During this 6-week healing process, any strenuous impact on the chest muscles should be avoided. Any form of lifting or impact created on the chest muscles should be gradually reintroduced. Be sure to discuss your post-op recovery with your board-certified surgeon for a personalized recommendation.

Jay Burns, MD

Post op arm use

I typically advise my BA patients to do only gentle, slow arm movements for the first few days after surgery. in addition, I advise no heavy lifting or strenuous upper body exercise for 6 weeks. Each Plastic Surgeon has their own preferred post op protocols so I recommend that you ask your Plasti  Surgeon to advise you.

All the best 

BA - Recovery!!

Recovery after a breast augmentation can be very straight forward with the right surgeon. Precise technique with minimal trauma leads to little pain after surgery, with many of our patients going out for dinner the same night as surgery. Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. I have patients wear a soft bra after breast augmentation for a few weeks to splint everything, and at that point the scars are generally very stable and we move to normal bras (or none) and long term scar management. Most important is a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding this procedure. Don’t settle for less!

After breast implant surgery

Thank you for your question. For the first two to three weeks after surgery do not lift anything heavier than 10 pounds. No working out or strenuous activities. 

Russell Sassani, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Range of Motion after Breast Implants

Great question.  Most people are a little stiff after surgery.  But by doing some simple range of motion exercises you can stay loose and comfortable.  I usually prescribe a muscle relaxer along with a pain killer that helps fight any muscle spasms or tightness.  I instruct that patients to not go back to heavy lifting for 6 weeks.

I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for the question. You will find for about a week you will have limited range of motion with your arms. You will be restricted to any heavy lifting however for about 4-6 weeks. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon for specific post operative restrictions. 

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Use of arms following breast augmentation

Yes, you will have full use of your arms following recovery from your breast augmentation. You should avoid overhead reaching and lifting  for at the first few days after surgery and avoid heavy lifting for about 6 weeks.
Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Full use of arms

You will absolutely have full use of your arms after an expected recovery period after breast augmentation.  I generally tell my patients to avoid reaching overhead for about a week mainly not to exacerbate any swelling and inflammation that occurs after a minimal release of pectorals muscle fibers and soft tissue.  Your body will usually tell you the limits of your movements in this early postoperative period.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon