Why is my nose so round after rhinoplasty and will it go away? (Photo)

I had rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago. I'm aware there is quite a bit of swelling that will last up to a year however, my nose isn't even close to the shape I asked for. I see other pictures of rhinoplasty's and their noses look good and pointy right after the cast comes off. Does this mean my nose will stay round and not become as pronounced as I want it? I really wanted it curved and pointy but it doesn't even look close. Please help!?!? Feeling full of regret.

2 weeks post rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and pictures.  It is not uncommon to have swelling and possibly some asymmetries early in the post rhinoplasty recovery phase.  It is usually six months before you will see the end results.  At that time, any concerns should be evaluated with your facial plastic surgeon.  Best of luck! 

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

There is still significant swelling 2 weeks after rhinoplasty, which decreases rather rapidly the first few weeks after surgery and then more slowly thereafter. Generally speaking, swelling persists for approximately 6 weeks after surgery, most noticeably in the nasal tip, where the nasal skin is thickest. Even after the swelling subsides, though, the nose will continue to change significantly and become more refined through secondary wound healing and contracture of the skin soft tissue envelope. Although it may be difficult, you need to be patient, adhere to your surgeon's instructions, and follow-up with him or her frequently if you have any concerns. You can avoid sodium in your diet and any activities that increase your heart rate. This will help expedite the resolution of swelling. Best wishes!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs.You are still quite early in your recovery period and your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and one side my heal quicker than the other and sometimes even nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes, but I would wait at least 12-18 months so you are fully healed before considering a revision. 
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

At 2 weeks post-op it is normal to have a significant amount of swelling. It will take a full year for you to obtain your final result, but you will see the swelling decrease in the next couple months. It is always best to consult with your surgeon regarding any postoperative concerns you may have. 

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Swelling for 6 months to a year

Thanks for the question and the photo. At two weeks your nose is still extremely swollen. It takes at least 6 months to a year for the swelling to go down after a rhinoplasty especially the swelling in the tip. Your nose will continue to change for up to 5 years after surgery! Be patient and give it time, the swelling will resolve! Best of luck!~Dr. Sieber

Rounded tip after rhinoplasty

It is far too early to assess your final results as your nose will continue to change over the next several weeks to months.  The amount of tip definition is usually inversely proportional to the thickness of your nasal skin.  Relay your concerns to your surgeon and he or she can provide you with a reasonable timeline of events to expect certain results.  Often times, patients with thick nasal tip skin may need dilute steroid injections to help expedite the results.