I'm getting Rhinoplasty and I'm a MMA fighter.

I'm getting a rhinoplasty but what happens if I break my nose after the recovery process because I'm a fighter and I do that as partime ATM but I'm going full hopefully halfway next year. If I break my nose during my fights will the rhinoplasty be worthless and my nose looks become poor? Will it get bigger? Should I stop MMA I'm getting rhinoplasty because my nose isnt straight and have trouble breathing through it and it's also big as af

Fighting sports and rhino

Definitely best to retire from fighting/contact sports before having a rhinoplasty otherwise you risk undoing all the good work done

Rhinoplasty and MMA

The terms rhinoplasty and MMA do not often mix until your fighting career has ended.  If a rhinoplasty is being performed for functional and cosmetic reasons, the nose loses about 15% of its original strength - meaning, if you get hit in the nose again, you will be more likely to fracture it.  My recommendation is to wait until you are done fighting; then, undergo a rhinoplasty for the first - and last - time.

Rhinoplasty and MMA

Thanks for your question. When I see athletes who play contact sports about nasal surgery, I always counsel them that less is more. If you can't breathe and your nasal bones are messed up, you can have them straightened without burning any bridges for the future. However, if you want to have a definitive surgery that will fix your breathing and improve your nose's looks, I'd absolutely counsel you to WAIT until after you're done with MMA. The risk of subsequent fracture is too great and the fix would be much harder than it needs to be.

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and fighting?

I would recommend waiting on your rhinoplasty until you are through fighting.  Secondary surgery is much more difficult than the original rhinoplasty and there is a high lighlihood you will need additional corrective surgery if you continue to fight.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Rhinoplasty and trauma

Great question.  I think if a rhinoplasty is an important issue for you you should proceed with getting it knowing as well that any trauma to the nose can result in injury.  There is always the possibility of breaking your nose via MMA or accidental injury even during daily life.  Fortunately, whatever damage occurs can be repaired.  In the end you will have to decide what is more important to you--the best looking nose or the desire to participate in MMA.I hope this helps.All the best,Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Martial Arts and Nose Surgery

Perhaps you should wait until your fighting career is completed before your consider nasal surgery. Since you are at high risk of re-injury or nasal fracture while you are still involved with the martial arts, the risk of complications due to re-injury and the need for multiple nasal surgeries is strong. I would wait. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon