Why is the failure rate for nasal surgery so high?

I've heard up to 50% of procedures on the nose DO NOT leave the patient more satisfied with the nose breathing or appearance. I have breathing problems and I am depressed now as that failure rate is too high for me to be considering the surgery...thus at 20 I am stuck with breathing issues for life:( Ever since I broke my nose I have been reluctant to do activities I used to enjoy, and nasal obstruction really makes me sad, is this normal?

Failure rate for nasal surgery

Rhinoplasty and nasal surgery are some of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so that is one reason that touch-up rates are rather high. Also, it's important to look at the realself.com platform success rate for each of the procedures, which is much higher than 50%. In addition, the experience of the surgeon matters significantly.  Skin, cartilage, and bone are all living tissues and each nose responds differently to surgical manipulation during the three-dimensional healing process.The touch-up rates for functional/ breathing nasal surgery should be much less than cosmetic rhinoplasty, since there are two completely separate procedures. It's also important that patients have realistic expectations about what can and cannot be accomplished with the rhinoplasty procedure. There is no perfect nose. Make appointments with the three busiest rhinoplasty surgeons in your area and ask them about their specific touch-up rates for both procedures should be in the 5 to 15% range

Thank you for sharing your concerns.  The rate of failure is not high if you have your surgery performed by an experienced plastic surgeon that do a lot of rhinoplastyYou need to find the right surgeonGood Luck

Gaby D. Doumit, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon