Nose: air passage blocked from broken nose. (photo)

The picture I am showing is how it looked before and after. It's been 3-4 weeks since the incident. I am still feeling like there is a hard piece of tissue or a hard bugger is stuck in my right inside of my nose. I try to blow it out but I can't get anything out. So my question is should I go see a dr or should I just live with it? I also have a condition called CRPS, I'm afraid to have anything done because if they hit a nerve it could make my pain worse.

Doctor Answers 6

Nasal trauma

Thank you for your question and photographs.Nasal trauma can cause internal damage and I would definitely recommend scheduling an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in nasal surgery to perform a nasal examination. The trauma may have cause a deviated septum or nasal bones which can obstruct the nasal passage. Swelling can also obstruct the nasal passage and can take several weeks to resolve. It would be best to get your nose examined to see what is causing this blockage and the best approach to correct it.
Best of luck!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Treatment for a broken nose

Trauma to the nose can cause a non-displaced nasal fracture, a displaced nasal fracture, it can fracture the upper lateral cartilages off of the nasal bones, and can cause a deviated nasal septum. All of these issues can block airflow to some degree. After trauma to the nose, it's important to visit an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon to document the extent of the injury. X-rays may be also necessary. Nasal surgery to straighten the external and internal portion of the nose may be required to improve airflow dynamics through the nose. For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

Nasal obstruction after trauma

Hello CarrieB26!  - I would definitely recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon to be evaluated.  There can be multiple reasons why you cannot breathe through the right side of your nose - deviated nasal septum,collapse of your nasal valve...  It's better to know than not know.  Best of luck!

Jacqueline T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal obstruction after broken nose

There a variety of reasons to have a blocked nasal passage (nasal obstruction) after a broken nose. Common reasons can include swelling inside the nose, a deviated septum, or deviated nasal bones. After nasal trauma, swelling can be present for several weeks and even up to several months after the injury. I would recommend seeking out a consultation with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon or otolaryngologist to fully evaluate your nose.

Sachin S. Pawar, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Nose evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 121 reviews

Breathing difficulty following a broken nose

Hello and thanks for the question.

There are several reasons you may be experiencing breathing difficulties following your nasal trauma -  swelling, a deviated septum, a nasal bone fracture with displacement, and others. I suggest following up with a plastic surgeon or ENT surgeon for further evaluation to determine the exact cause and treatment plan of your condition. 


Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.