Do artificial sweetners like Splenda and Aspartame cause Gynecomastia?

The Common Causes of Gynecomastia

Most likely not. The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Artificial sweeteners

Dear foreveryoung908,

There are many causes of gynecomastia both endogenous and exogenous. There is no medical study documenting artificial sweeteners like Splenda or Aspartame causing gynecomastia. If you do have gynecomastia I would look for primary and secondary causes and if these are ruled out then seek radio frequency assisted lipo contouring and reduction as this can be performed with minimal scarring.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

To my knowledge, artificial sweeteners such as these are not a recognized contributor to gynecomastia.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Artifical sweetners as cause of gynecomastia

Thank you for your question. I am not aware of those particular sugar substitutes as a cause of gynecomastia. Best wishes.