Do you have to wear a splint after nose tip surgery?

Nasal splint

Generally, for a tip rhinoplasty, you don't have to wear a splint, however your surgeon may elect to do so to control the edema and swelling and help shape the tip and the supratip break.  If there is a reason you don't want to wear the splint (i.e. going back to work) you should discuss the need for splinting with your doctor. 

Hope that helps.

Christopher C. Chang, MD

Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia

Is a splint necessary?

It's going to depend on your surgeon. Some simply use tape. Some use a splint. Some use both. A splint provides support and helps to reduce swelling. My best advice would be to call your surgeon's office and see what he or she uses. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Nasal splint after surgery

I typically will place an external cast following rhinoplasty surgery which stays in place about a week.  Additionally, if septal work was performed,  internal septal splints are placed to stabilize the septum and help prevent movement.   I also use a nostril mold which helps  stabilize the tip of the nose during healing.  Patients typically wear this continuously for the first week, and then sleep with it for 6-8 weeks, until the tip has become more healed.  This helps prevent shifting, and provides a secure base while healing is occuring

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mainly for fracture or extended dissections

Thanks for your question. 

The splint is indicated if either a nasal bone fracture was performed or (and not everyone does this) if the dissection was beyond the nasal tip to serve as a constant compression and aid with the swelling. 

Hope this clears your head, if not, feel free to contact me. 

Take care, 

Dr. Fernandez Goico

Luis A. Fernandez Goico, MD

Splint and nasal tip

The splint is often used to keep the nasal bones in place after surgery, but it also can help with initial swelling. Some just use tape when they do the tip. I usually use both.

Rhinoplasty

As long as there is no work being done on the bridge of the nose then you shouldn’t need a splint. Tape will most likely be sufficient but it is really up to the discretion of your surgeon whether they decide to place one or not. I would discuss this with them to see what their preference is. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Nasal splint after rhinoplasty

It depends on the surgeon and the extent of surgery whether or not you will need to wear a nasal splint after rhinoplasty. Even in the absence of osteomies/bone cutting, I typically apply a nasal splint for 5-7 days in order to minimize swelling. Even if no splint is worn, taping is typically done and in terms of appearance there is not much of a difference between having the nose taped versus wearing a small splint. Best wishes!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip surgery

If it is only tip surgery, then you may have just tapes applied for several days. Splint is used after osteotomy or bone cutting is done.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO