Arm lift surgery. Would it be OK to travel to Florida for Thanksgiving the following week?

I want to get an arm lift on Nov 15, 2016. Would it be ok to travel to Florida for thanksgiving the following week? I live in Ft Worth.

Arm lift and traveling

Thank you for your question.  Generally, it's not a good idea to travel 1 week after a surgery like this.  It would be best to remain close to your surgeon during this period, just in case.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Arm lift surgery. Would it be OK to travel

This is a good question for your plastic surgeon.  In my practice, I would be asking you questions such as: what are your planned It's activities in Florida? How long will you be gone? Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Traveling after surgery

Traveling is usually not recommended after surgery for about 2 weeks or until advised by your doctor. Not only can it cause healing delays but there is a risk of blood clot development. Defiantly talk to your doctor before you have surgery if you are keeping your traveling plans so you can make sure you give yourself the best post operative care. Best of luck!

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift surgery & travel

It is best to wait at least ten days to avoid severe blood clots in the legs. If you do decide to travel, all of your luggage needs to be assisted. Do not carry anything that will put weight on your arm in any way. Compression socks can help while flying, and walking can aid in improving blood circulation. Hope this helps.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Travel post surgery

Although there is no absolute contraindication, I would advise you not to travel 1 week after your arm lift. It is a major surgical procedure and you will have a fresh scar that needs diligent care and attention best provided by your surgeon who will carry out the procedure.Wound problems often develop in the first couple of weeks and it is best to be close to your surgical team's clinic.

Good luck!

Travelling 1 week after an armlift

Hi there and thank you for the question.

It is always tempting  to go somewhere sunny nice and restful to recuperate from surgery and most of the time that would be fine but the problem is that if there is a problem then you are far away from your surgeon. Also going to a family event such as Thanksgiving again sounds wonderful but it might not be at all restful and I have found that time pressures, deadlines and stressful situations, (even if it is enjoyable stress with family!) can slow down healing or cause problems that would not have otherwise have occurred. Surgery is a medical procedure and needs to be respected for the best outcome. It is always best to plan for surgery to allow sufficient time and space for healing to proceed smoothly.

I hope that you found this information helpful.

Best wishes

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon