Had upper arm lift. What type of oil or cream can I use to help with the scarring?

What can I use to help with the scarring, What type of oil or cream?

Options for arm lift scars

Thank you for your question.  Good options for scars on your arm lift include vitamin E cream, Biocorneum or silicone sheeting.  Please discuss different options with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Arm Lift/ Brachioplasty/Skin Tightening/ Body Contouring/ High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Compression tape and laser tx

Arm lift scars tend to become raised and red for several months to almost years after the procedure. I have my patients apply skin colored paper tape to their scars for several months over the length of the arm scar. The tape blends well with most skin types. At 6 weeks, I begin fractional laser treatments to the scars every 6 weeks for 3-4 sessions. If the scars are red, I use a different wavelength laser to fade the red color. It is important to be patient with arm lift scars because they take up to 2 years to look their best.

Christine Hamori, MD

Biocorneum for scars

Thank you for your question. We recommend Biocorneum for scarring. It is the only FDA cleared topical silicone scar treatment on the market. 

Arm lift - what kind of cream for the scars?

Thank you for asking about your arm lift.

• After surgery, it is wise to have your surgeon give you advice on your scars.
  • However a common reocmmendation is to keep silicone strips over the scars for 6 weeks.
  • These are sold in most pharmacies - ask your surgeon if this is the best choice for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Scar Healing

We recommend silicone sheeting, vitamin E or Scar Recovery from SkinMedica for our patients to use for their postoperative scars.

Scar reducing products

We recommend Biocorneum or Mepiform for scars.  Biocorneum is a topical silicone scar treatment with SPF.  Mepiform is a silicone gel sheeting.  Make sure to consult with your surgeon about any product that you are considering using.  Also be mindful about sun exposure as well. 

David Stoker, MD

Arm Lift Scar Management

Your incisions need mechanical support in the first three months, not scar gels or oils.  Paper tape, silicone tape, or elastic tape are all good options. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

I recommend a silicone based dressing for scars. Embrace is a great product and they have a number of products that are designed for cosmetic surgery.  The product is expensive compared to other silicone products and there other product lines that you could try.  Good luck!

Timothy A. Janiga MD, FACS

Had upper arm lift. What type of oil or cream can I use to help with the scarring

The best person to ask her surgeon. Silicone sheeting is the best product reduce scarring. It can be somewhat cumbersome to use in that location. A silicone based scar gel or Mederma are good alternatives.