What is a paranasal augmentation?

Apparently implants can be used in this area. Is this the nasolabial fold area?

Paranasal augmentation

It refers to the space on either side of the nostrils, at the uppermost part of the nasolabial folds. Grafts of either cartilage or foreign material (such as silastic or medpor) can be inserted here in addition to standard facial fillers. Osteotomies can also be done to bring the maxilla bone forward but is obviously more aggressive.

Washington DC Otolaryngologist

What is a paranasal augmentation?

Hello bellelewis1 - Thanks for your question. Paranasal augmentation involves placing graft material on either side of the nostril in the pyriform space to soften the medial nasolabial folds when there is significant bone loss in that area. In my practice, I use Radiesse (filler), fat (filler), Medpor implants, or stacked cartilage grafts.  Of course, you could perform certain types of bone cuts (Le fort osteotomies) to move the bone forward, but this is fairly aggressive and not typical in a cosmetic surgery case.  Oral-maxillo-facial surgeons use this bone cutting more regularly as part of their dental surgeries to restore bite.  I hope this helps?Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Paranasal Sinus Augmentation for Dental Restoration

Paranasal sinus augmentation refers to a method of internally building up the thickness of the maxilla in the region of the maxillary sinuses for the purpose of placing bone anchors or posts to the upper jaw which attach to the new dental hardware/ teeth. This is usually done with bone grafts or bone substitutes by an oral surgeon. Not related to the nasolabial fold area. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon