I am looking into getting a lipoma removal and was wondering about the cost of the procedure?

I have multiple lipomas all over my body, around 2 dozen (most small pebble-sized, 1-2 others larger) mainly on my back, butt, bikini line, & underarms. I would like to get all of them removed at the same time. I have Molina insurance but all the doctors I've visited in the past have told be it's not covered as it's considered cosmetic surgery due to the lipomas not being life-threatening. How much would it cost overall, consultation, anesthesia, lipoma removal, etc. without insurance?

#Lipoma Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I appreciate your question.

Cost varies by geographic location, surgeon expertise, OR time, anesthesia, length of procedure etc.  I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery and who is also a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgery.  You can call their offices in advance and ask for quotes prior to scheduling consultations.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your difficulties with such numerous lipomas.  In some cases lipomas can be removed under insurance and I would reach out to your insurance company to see if they cover the costs.  If they do not, the best option would be to reach out to a number of ASPS board certified plastic surgeons in consultation to have a better idea as to costs in your area.  Hope this helps.

Lipoma removal with insurance

Insurance does cover the cost of lipoma surgery in many cases. I would seek a surgeon who specializes in lipoma removal. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS