Will I be out to sleep to get a lipoma removed?

Lipomas .local anestesia

Hi. Thank you for your question. The majority of lipomas are small or middle sized. They can be  removed without a problem under local anesthesia if its not too big and requires too much anesthesia or if its on spots like the neck.

Lipoma anesthesia

Local anesthesia is appropriate for removal of lipomas on most patients. However, if the lipoma is large or there are multiple or the patient is concerned about being awake during surgery, very safe anesthesia which puts you to sleep during the procedure can be used. Talk it over with your doctor.

Lipoma removal on the body

Lipomas can be removed using local anesthesia. I specialize in lipoma removal using very small incisions. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Anesthesia options for lipoma removal

If it is small and close to the skin, simple numbing medicine injected into the site in the office may be enough. If it is large, deep, or you have several areas you want addressed, sedation with an IV or general anesthesia is a good idea. If you are very anxious and want more anesthesia, this can always be discussed with your doctor, but the cost as well as the small but real risks of anesthesia would need to be taken into account.

Lipoma removal

I have removed lipomas of all sizes from all parts of body and have never used anything beyond local numbing to do so.

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Thank you for sharing your question.  Depending on the size and location of the lipoma you need not be placed completely asleep, unless that is your preference.  In many cases a lipoma can be removed under local anesthesia in your plastic surgeon's office.  Hope that this helps.