Will I be awake for my FUE Hair Transplant?

Will I be awake for my hair transplant? Is there an option to be put to sleep?

Are you awake for FUE

In my practice I do not offer any type of IV sedation as I feel it is unnecessary risk to a patient.  We use local anesthetic, patients are awake watching a movie, or on their computer or iPad. If you are having this done and the doctor does want to do any IV sedation, make sure it is done at an accredited surgery center with an Anesthesiologist present in the clinic while you are being sedated.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant

there are different options that each hair transplant surgeon uses to make he procedure comfortable for their clients. At our Office we use twilight sedation which will put the clients to sleep for most of the procedure, thereby making it very comfortable and painless. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplants - can I be put to sleep?

Hair transplant surgeons have the option of using light sedation such as a group of mediations called benzodiazepines (Lorazepam, Diazepam). These make patients feel relaxed and may induce a light sleep. But FUE is not typically done with sedation like other procedures. This adds a degree of risk that most feel is unnecessary. A hair transplant should be a well tolerated enjoyable day. 

FUE is an outpatient surgery. You have the option for light sedation (depending on the doctor).

FUE is an outpatient surgery. You have the option for light sedation (depending on the doctor).  FUE is NOT performed under general anesthesia.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

You do not need general anesthesia

At our center we use a light sedation and local anesthetic combination. If you are planning on sedation during your procedure make sure your provider is in a certified surgery center. Be well, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Will I be awake for an FUE hair transplant

Most doctors offer sedation that will put you in a twilight sleep if you request it. We do this on most of our patients to make the day very pleasant. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Awake during FUE

Yes, FUE is an outpatient procedure done under local anesthesia during which you are awake.  If done correctly, it is very well tolerated.  

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon