I want to have a BBL done as well as a rhino. My question is if both can be done during the same operation?

RHINO AND BBL SAME OPERATION? I want to have a BBL done as well as a rhino. My question is if both can be done at he same operation. A surgeon is trying to convince me to do both but I think it's a bad idea because the way you are positioned during operation and at recovery (opposite ways that might damage either). Could I maybe do the BBL first and after two weeks do the rhino?

2 Procedures

BBL is not a quick procedure. Surgical fatigue can set in. Unfortunately, this can interfere with the delicate surgery and judgment needed in rhinoplasty.

Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

BBL & Rhino

You could do both. Likely the BBL would be completed first and only then attention turned to your nose. Yes, the recovery would be more awkward so ask yourself "is it worth it" doing them together?I would recommend to separate them if that is at all a feasible option for you.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

BBL & Rhinoplasty

Yes, both procedures can be done simultaneously or these procedures can easily be staged. I would speak with your plastic surgeon about this possibility if you feel it is necessary.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and skin rejuvenation

This is a logistics and anesthesia/facility cost issue. Rhinoplasty may certainly be done with other procedures including laser skin resurfacing (we did this twice in the last month) so there is no reason that BBL could not be done with a rhinoplasty.  BBL should not take any longer than 20 to 30 minutes depending on the number of passes needed.  The nose skin, however, would not be treated at the time of rhinoplasty and would require treatment at a separate time.  Logistically the surgery center would need to be able to accommodate the Sciton device (specific power requirement) including protective eyewear for anyone in the room.  I would do the BBL first and then do the rhinoplasty.  You will likely pay more for the anesthesia/facility fee by adding this on whereas if done in the office you would not have this additional cost...  I would suggest waiting at least 6 weeks after surgery before having BBL done on the nose.  Alternatively you could have the BBL done a few weeks before surgery.  

J. David Holcomb, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and a BB L

It is probably best to separate the 2 out in time since both procedures take a fair amount of time to accomplish and may exceed  state guidelines for patients to be placed under general anesthesia.  In addition, it is important to choose a rhinoplasty surgeon based on extensive experience with the procedure since rhinoplasty is one of the hardest operations to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery. positioning will also be an issue performing both procedures simultaneously.

BBL and Rhinoplasty

From a technical standpoint, both can be performed at the same time and good results can be obtained.  If you are not comfortable doing both procedures at the same time, you can schedule each procedure at a separate time.  2- 3 weeks after the BBL, you should be able to undergo the rhinoplasty.  You could wait longer if you needed.

Vasppf17, I would encourage you to separate the two. Also, make sure your BBL surgeon is an expert in noses, you may be better off having two different surgeons. No surgeon is going to say the are not an expert so it is up to you to educate yourself. In my opinion rhinoplasties are best done by experienced board certified surgeons that have chosen to specialize in "only faces" and do multiple rhinoplasties a week for many many years. see the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

BBL And Rhino

I would recommend separating these surgeries for the reasons you mentioned.  Also, depending on how involved, the surgery time may be lengthy.  About 4 weeks between surgeries would be my recommendation. 

BBL with Rhinoplasty

thank you for your question . I would not perform a rhinoplasty and a BBL at the same time. When performing a rhinoplasty I like the patient sleeping on  their back. For a BBL I like them sleeping on their tummy.  As an artist I like using the reshaping technique when performing rhinoplasty. Using advanced suturing techniques I can change the nasal Cartilages giving you a thinner more refined natural looking nose. I like to find out from the patient what they don't like about their nose  and I write up a detailed operative plan.  I incorporate the FINESSEE technique which I invented. Bleeding, bruising, and postoperative pain is minimal when compared to traditional technique and recovery is quicker. I don't routinely pack the nose. It's not uncommon that some patients have no bruising after surgery. I hope you find this information useful.

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

BBL and rhino

To be honest with you, if your surgeon is comfortable with doing both at the same time, provided that he explains how to deal with post op healing as you mentioned (BBL and rhino have drastically differing positions you want to be in!), then you should be fine.  That way, you only have to undergo sedation once as opposed to twice, etc.  There are a variety of reasons why this works better for some.  That being said, separating them out by 2 (and in my experience, even 4-6 weeks) is often better depending on the level of sedation that is done at his office.  I do all my cases under twilight, which allows you to bounce back a little bit faster. I find that doing facial work separate from body work is easier to recover from a patient stand point.  Yes it does increase the recovery time (you undergo two recovery periods rather than one), but I find that patients often feel more comfortable this way.  Again, this is just my personal experience as in training we would often combine procedures and often it was a little much for patients to heal from.  That being said, everyone is a little different. If your doc is comfortable and you feel comfortable with their thoughts, go with what feels best.  Either option works and your doc should be able to work with you in those regards.  I hope some of this helps.  Best. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon