Why Is my eye lid sagging? I'm only 42 (photo)

In the vast majority of people the right side of their face is at least a little smaller than the left side. This stems from the actual skull being smaller on the right side. In some people the assymmetry is a little more than in others. In your case your right brow sags more than on the left side, and this may contribute to the excess skin on your right upper lid compared to the left. The treatment is very simple, requiring an upper lid blepharoplasty, which is simply excising the extra skin in the right upper eyelid to match the left. This can be done under local anesthesia. Sutures are removed in five days, and you may have some bruising, but it should be gone in a week or so. This would be the simplest solution to your problem. I hope this answer has helped you, and best of luck to you.

Aging effects different people differently

There is no answer to why it happened to you?  It just happens. However surgery will fix it. Consult with a plastic surgeon and learn your options. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Sag is natural in eyelids with time

Saggy skin of the eyelids can occur at most any age but generally is associated with being somewhat older.   Many in their 40s have excess eye lid skin.   Surgery can easily correct this.  My Best,    Dr Commons

Eyelid droop

It appears that you have ptosis (droop) affecting both eyes, but it is best assessed in the office. You would likely benefit from an eyelid procedure correcting the ptosis as well as removing the excess skin. I would see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who is comfortable treating this problem.

Not at all the best picture.

You are looking down into the camera so it is impossible to know what you look like looking straight ahead.  That is really how we judge.  You look like you have upper eyelid ptosis and excess upper eyelid skin.  Please see a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon in your area.  

Drooping Eyelids

Your photo is taken in downgaze with the left eyebrow elevated - it appears that both sides have drooping issues. The right upper lid fold seems more redundant because the right brow (right side of frontalis muscle) is relaxed. The left brow is elevated - perhaps because of ptosis, but this is difficult to assess in one position of gaze. In primary gaze (straight ahead) with the forehead/ frontalis muscle relaxed, the brows may appear even lower than it this downgaze photo. Facial and periocular anatomy and overall appearance is affected by age, heredity, trauma, and other factors. So at the young age of 42, your drooping is not unusual. An Oculoplastic surgeon can help you with diagnosis, discussion of the many options available, and treatment. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid sagging

Thanks for your post. Believe it or not, sagging skin above the upper eyelids is an issue that commonly affects women in their forties. While an in-office exam is necessary to truly assess what is going on, you definitely have some redundant skin (dermatochalasis) affecting your upper eyelids, with the right worse than the left. Your eyebrows are also somewhat asymmetric. There are a variety of potential treatments including Botox injections and forehead and upper eyelid surgery. I would start by consulting with an experienced facial plastic or oculoplastic surgeon who regularly addresses these issues. Good luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis and Dermatochalasis

Thank you for sharing your question and photos. You appear to have ptosis (drooping eyelid) and dermatochalasis (extra skin) of the upper eyelids. Both problems can be corrected by an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon. Make an appointment for detailed evaluation and guidance.
Good luck,

One eyelid sagging

You have a tendency to pull up one of your eyebrows with your forehead muscles, but not the other. The side with the lower eyebrow has a droopier looking eyelid.

Improving the symmetry between your eyes would likely involve using botox to make the eyebrows more symmetric and removing skin from the upper eyelids to reduce the sagging look. A second option would be to just remove some skin from the side with the lower eyebrow.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon