How to cure my Inferior scleral show? (Photo)

Hello, I'm still too young to get a cure(medical operation)for my sceleral show is there anything I can do to cure it now? My sceleral show is very big, I hate how it looks. Im often mistaken as Indian because of my eyes being big when I'm really not I'm black and Hispanic, I grow a unibrow and it really makes me look not my race.No offense to Indian people its just the stereotype people make. I just want to look my race, and my scleral show is getting in the way of that.

Treating inferior sclera show

See following link for more information. The inherited lower eyelid retraction with sclera show is due to the eyelid position in addition to the eyeball position. Different treatment options exist.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Inferior scleral show

There are a few things to consider.  First of all, a good ophthalmology exam would be warranted to ensure that you do not have any medical conditions that are causing your problem, especially if it is something that has changed or worsened with time.  Sometimes thyroid issues can lead to these findings, for example.  Also, once stable, surgery to raise the lower lid is the best option, but sometimes fillers can be used to temporarily raise the lower lids too.  It is really hard to say what the best option would be for you without an in-person consult, which I'd highly recommend.  I don't know how old you are, as you state you are young, but sometimes increased scleral show can also cause trouble closing the eyes and can ultimately cause damage to the eye, so I do encourage an evaluation at the very least!  Good luck!

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Inferior scleral show

Inferior scleral show has absolutely nothing to do with race or ethnicity. When the chin is tipped down and the eyes are looking up, it may be totally normal to have scleral show. There are factors that make this scleral show greater - prominent eyes, shallow eye sockets, myopia/ near-sightedness, flat maxillary bone, thyroid issues, and heredity. Inferior scleral show is less noticeable with head held up and looking straight ahead. When the chin is tipped down, the eyes naturally rotate up to see straight ahead - revealing some inferior scleral show. An Oculoplastic subspecialist could evaluate and discuss non-surgical and surgical options with you. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon