How long does platelet rich plasma treatment last?

We have gotten ACell+PRP for hair loss to last at least 3-5 years, with most patients having a single treatment

Thank you for your question. I understand you’d like to know how long PRP treatment lasts in terms of treating hair loss.

I can certainly offer you some guidance and perspective on this as I’ve been performing hair transplant surgery for quite some time, and use PRP quite a lot in my practice. I’m the founder of TrichoStem® Hair Regeneration centers, which offer a non-surgical treatment for hair loss and hair thinning using PRP and a material called extracellular matrix by ACell. I’m also a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years.

Keep in mind that the opinions I’m sharing are based on my experience, and this is always something I need to qualify because I don’t want anyone to feel that I'm disparaging other physicians for how they treat hair loss. As physicians, we do our best to help our patients, and if there’s a treatment such as PRP available and it’s been shown to have some value with hair loss treatment, then I certainly understand why doctors are doing so.

To answer your question, hair loss is very individual. There are several chromosomes that are associated with hair loss, and the expression of those chromosomes, as well as the genetics of that hair loss, varies. Some people start losing hair as young as 17 to 18-years-old, and by the time they’re 22, they’re already bald. Others will start at around 19 to 20-years-old, and yet their hair loss could be more gradual, spanning at least 20 to 30 years until they lose a significant amount of hair. That said, your question could garner a variety of answers.

From my experience, PRP stimulates hair growth. However, this growth is short-term, and limited and can still shed out. PRP alone does not reverse hair thinning

We also use PRP for a number of different things, from skin rejuvenation, scar treatments, improvement of dark under eye circles, and so on. It’s a great treatment, but it’s also one that a lot of physicians don’t truly understand.

When we first started developing a way to help improve the results of hair transplants using PRP and extracellular matrix (which is used for wound healing), we learned that the synergy between PRP and extracellular matrix resulted in a long-term benefit in hair loss treatment. We call this treatment Hair Regeneration. With the help of our TrichoStem® Hair Regeneration Centers, we are slowly bringing it out of New York, where we currently perform it, and into other areas to help make it more accessible.

When we administer this treatment, for a majority of our patients, we usually observe responses that last from 3-5 years after just one dose. In more advanced cases of hair loss, we learned that doing an additional second treatment between 12-15 months also has some value in building upon the first. This treatment, which is backed by clinical data taken from hundreds of patients who come from all over the world, shows that it indeed does stop hair loss, thickens hair, and allows it to continue to grow.

After treating our patients with Hair Regeneration, we watch them very closely. We meet with them every three months to do microscope photos and digital photography, and we’ll do this for 18 months. For those who we do a second injection for, we’ll do this for another 18 months. There’s an important aspect of customization here, which is why it took a bit of time to really develop a system that was consistent.

From my experience and perspective, I recommend pursuing a treatment like Hair Regeneration, where PRP is not used alone. In our experience, people who go for a series of monthly PRP injections feel the challenge of maintaining that consistently, especially when they notice they only get a few months of benefit from the treatment.

I suggest you try and learn more about this technology and treatment, and about extracellular matrix and platelet-rich plasma, to see if this is something that would be of value to you. In terms of treating hair loss, this treatment has hit a sweet spot that really helps a lot of people who want a non-surgical option. In fact, we’re helping a lot of people who otherwise would not have gone for the surgical option, the pharmaceutical or daily pill, or the use of topical minoxidil.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

How Long PRP Results Last Depend on ECM Used

French hair transplant expert Dr. Bouhanna published his results on PRP showing that the improved hair caliber began to diminish after just three months.
In our experience, we've seen that PRP results tend to be stronger and last longer when Extracellular Matrix (ECM) is added to the PRP before injection. Years ago, we noticed ACell Matristem helped in this regard, but more recently we've been using BioD-Restore cryopreserved human amnionic ECM to extend the hair growth results of PRP.  For some patients in our practice, the boost of hair growth from BioD-Restore + PRP has lasted up to two years, but the average is 12 months. 

At our practice, we measure changes in hair growth using the scientific HairCheck cross sectional hair bundle technique which gives us an accurate way to track increases or decreases in the quality and quantity of hair produced in various areas of the scalp. 

Alan Bauman, MD
Boca Raton Hair Restoration Surgeon

Platelet Rich Plasma treatment information

Watch this video to see Dr. Edward Dickerson personally answer your PRP question! Get to know your options and find out if PRP is right for you.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's a good question and the truth is we just don't know.  PRP hasn't been extensively studied so what we are left with is a few small studies and lots of anecdotal evidence.  While ACell has been a topic with PRP there is no real good scientific data that it helps.  But it most likely doesn't hurt (except in the wallet).  PRP (with or without ACell) is a good option for people thinning in their 20s.  We perform 3 sessions 2 months apart and see improvements in density most of the time.  It is best combined with Rogaine. Results can last over a year.

Tim Neavin, MD

PRP results do not last indefinitely. Each patient may react or respond differently. See a doctor for a proper exam

PRP results do not last indefinitely. Each patient may react or respond differently. See a doctor for a proper exam and treatment options.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How long does PRP last.

PRP can lead to an outstanding improvement in hair loss by strengthening and stimulating hair follicles, though the effect is temporary. Over time, the PRP is washed out, and the hair follicle returns to baseline. In my patients, the affect from PRP lasts 4-6 months on average. As such, maintenance PRP injection is offered every 4-6 months.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

PRP for hair loss

We've had great success with combining microneedling and PRP for hair loss. Platelet rich plasma, is a treatment that involves taking a small quantity of one's own blood, and processing it to obtain platelet rich plasma. This is then injected into the scalp in the areas of thinning. Its a simple in-office procedure with promising results. 

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Prp longevity

In my opinion, no studies have been done on longevity of PRP. I my my experience it lasts For 6 months. We put patients on maintenance every six months. Microneedle rolling and Rogain may enhance effects.
Hope this helps
Good luck!

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP - how long does it last?

PRP, or platelet rich plasma, is a treatment that involves taking a small quantity of one's own blood, and processing it to obtain platelet rich plasma.  This is then injected into the scalp in the areas of thinning. The procedure, from start to finish takes 50 -60 minutes. 

Effects of PRP last 3-6 months depending on the patient