PRP right option for my hair loss? Thinning of hair in front. 26 years, male (Photo)

I am 26 years Male suffering from Hair loss. I checked with a leading dermatologist in Chennai and was advised I am not good for transplant. She suggested PRP will work for me. Any side effects on PRP? Please let us know with your Reviews and answers. Please find my attached pictures of scalp where have I applied oil. Please suggest the best treatment for me to restore/regrow hair. I don't want to try Minoxidil or Propecia as they have severe side effects. please help. Is it Tellogen effluvium?

Hair loss in young males.

The only product I have ever seen in my more than 35 years experience is Propecia. The side effects from this are quite rare. It is designed for the crown only. No other products that I have seen works for hair loss and I feel you're wasting your money. Wait until you are sure you will haveenough donor supply to complete either hair transplants or the Fleming Mayer flap procedure.

Is PRP right for me?

Thanks for your question. I am sorry that you have been suffering with hair loss.  Without a formal examination, it is would be premature to diagnose the cause of your hair loss or recommend a treatment.

In general though, PRP has show excellent results for patients suffering from many forms of hair loss such as androgenic alopecia (or common pattern loss) and alopecia areata. PRP contains potent growth factors that stimualte the hair follicles to grow. The procedure has no significant downtime and is very safe, as the PRP is generated from your own blood.

Overall, the literature is becoming increasingly populated with data supporting PRP for hair (see below for some of the studies from just the year 2015). The limitation of the literature is a formal recommendation on the methodology to perform the PRP and a recommendation on the system to use. There are at least 7 different PRP systems, each with important distinctions. After evaluating the systems, I do believe certain kinds of PRP extraction kits are better for hair, and I would urge you to seek consultation with a clinician who has obtained great results with PRP.

Hope this information helps and that you find the right solution to treat your hair loss.

Studies showing benefit of PRP:

Khatu, Swapna S et al. “Platelet-Rich Plasma in Androgenic Alopecia: Myth or an Effective Tool.” Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery 7.2 (2014): 107–110. PMC. Web. 26 Oct. 2015.

Maria-Angeliki G, Alexandros-Efstratios K, Dimitris R, Konstantinos K. Platelet-rich Plasma as a Potential Treatment for Noncicatricial Alopecias. International Journal of Trichology. 2015;7(2):54-63. doi:10.4103/0974-7753.160098.

Singhal P, Agarwal S, Dhot PS, Sayal SK. Efficacy of platelet-rich plasma in treatment of androgenic alopecia. Asian Journal of Transfusion Science. 2015;9(2):159-162. doi:10.4103/0973-6247.162713.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

PRP as option for hair loss

For your males like you with longstanding hairloss PRP may be the answer. PRP stands for platelet-rich plasma. PRP is blood plasma that has been enriched with platelets. As a concentrated source of autologous platelets, PRP contains several different growth factors and other cytokines that stimulate healing of bone and soft tissue, as well as hair growth. Human blood contains mesenchymal stem cells, and autologous blood products that contain essential and specific growth factors that assist in tissue regeneration and healing. PRP was developed in the 1970′s and first used in Italy in 1987 in an open heart surgery procedure. Published medical literature from around the world confirms the safety and use of PRP therapy in medicine. For the past two decades PRP has been widely used in skin and wound healing, and is now being extensively used in cosmetic surgery, dentistry, sports medicine and pain management.
In the field of hair restoration, evidence supports PRP therapy as a promising treatment to promote hair growth, although no claim an be made of its efficacy. Studies have shown that growth factors released from platelets may act on stem cells in the bulge area of the follicles, stimulating the development of new follicles and promoting neo-vascularization. ( Journal of Aesthetic Cutaneous Surgery, 2014). Since PRP is in the early stages of scientific research for hair loss therapy, PRP is not meant to replace current FDA approved therapies such as DHT blockers and Minoxidil. That being said, PRP is a promising non-surgical option for men and women experiencing hair loss.
How is PRP Hair Loss Therapy performed?Upon arrival at the BioSpa Newport Beach, you will be escorted to one of our private hair restoration treatment rooms. One of our qualified nurses or surgeons will draw your blood just as though you were having routine blood testing at your primary care physician’s office. The drawn blood is then spun in a sterile centrifuge system, which separates the platlete-rich plasma from the rest of the blood. The system eliminates granulocytes which can harm tissue regeneration. A topical anesthesia is applied to the scalp to reduce any discomfort during the PRP treatment. The highly concentrated platelet rich plasma is then injected into the scalp. Your hair will then be washed and you may return to your daily routine. You are able to drive after the procedure.
We recommend a total of 3 treatments scheduled 6 weeks apart. This will vary depending on the severity of hair loss and desired result. Treatment plan will be discussed at your initial consultation.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

PRP

You're at the age where I would consider PRP in addition to the use of Rogaine and Propecia.  I suggest 3 sessions of PRP spaced 2 months apart.

Tim Neavin, MD

If your doctor says PRP may work for you but you are having doubts, you should see another doctor for a second opinion.

If your doctor says PRP may work for you but you are having doubts, you should see another doctor for a second opinion.  Photos cannot give you a diagnosis or a prognosis of treatment plans.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP for Hair Regrowth Has No Side Effects

PRP Platelet Rich Plasma for Hair Regrowth is a "lunchtime" treatment that is derived from your own blood platelets. The concentrated mixture of PRP plus an extracellular matrix like BioD or ACell allows the results to be prolonged for 12-18 months as described in recent research presented at the ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting. HairCheck trichometry is recommended before treatment and every 90 days thereafter to track response to the therapy. 
Be aware that if the density is depleted in the area you are trying to treat, results aside from prevention of loss will be minimal. Substantial improvement in hair caliber and length are seen where the treatment is applied. Improvements in coverage of the scalp occur most noticeably where there are large numbers of weaker hair follicles that can be improved.

Alan Bauman, MD
Boca Raton Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP for Hair Loss

There is good evidence now in the scientific and medical literature to support the notion that PRP is helpful for male and female androgenetic hair loss. A recent study in the journal Dermatologic Surgery showed that 40 % of patients were good responders to PRP and another proportion had some improvement as well. 

Schiavone et al. Platelet rich plasma for androgenetic alopecia: a pilot study. Dermatol Surg 2014; 40: 1010-9

The challenge with PRP is there are many, many ways to do it. In fact a bewildering number of different machines and techniques. Do different techniques and machines give different results? Probably, but that also needs to be studied. For example, I take 120 cc of blood to do PRP and concentrate the platelets at 3.5 times above baseline. Last week, I learned of a machine that uses 8 mL of blood and concentrates at 1.5 times above baseline. We have a long ways to go to get everyone on the same page. 

But does PRP help patients with androgenetic alopecia? Yes. it certainly has helped a proportion of my patients and is a valuable off label treatment in my toolbox. 

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist

PRP - Does it Work?

As of now, we don't have sufficient scientific evidence that PRP has any last longing effect in hair loss treatment.  For that reason, I do not offer it in my practice nor I recommend it to anyone with patterned hair loss.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP Option

PRP can help slow down hair loss and sometimes reverse thinning follicles.  However it requires multiple treatments and once you stop the PRP treatments you will over time of back to your natural pattern of hair loss.  It is a good procedure for the right patient and I have had very good results with PRP with really no side effects.

That being said, medications such as Minoxidil and Propecia are great.  They work very well and risk of "Severe" side effects is very low.  In 2 years I have probably started more than 200 patients on Propecia. I have not yet had 1 patient stop due to a side effect.

Finally, why did your dermatologist advise you that you are not a candidate for a hair transplant.  Looking at the pictures from the back of your scalp, your donor zone seems to look good. I would recommend maybe following up with a hair transplant surgeon in your area that specializes in this procedure to see whether you are a candidate or not.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP for hair loss

Thank you for your question. In my opinion, PRP or platelet rich plasma works well in patients with early onset hair loss which are cases similar to yours. PRP has many growth factors that help with new hair growth. Very important though to follow your surgeons protocol as one treatment is not enough.

I hope this helps. Best wishes. Dr. Salameh (Plastic surgeon - Bowling Green, KY)

Bernard S. Salameh, MD
Bowling Green Physician