PRP right option for my hair loss? Thinning of hair in front. 26 years, male (Photo)

I am 26 years Male suffering from Hair loss. I checked with a leading dermatologist in Chennai and was advised I am not good for transplant. She suggested PRP will work for me. Any side effects on PRP? Please let us know with your Reviews and answers. Please find my attached pictures of scalp where have I applied oil. Please suggest the best treatment for me to restore/regrow hair. I don't want to try Minoxidil or Propecia as they have severe side effects. please help. Is it Tellogen effluvium?

Hair loss in young males.

The only product I have ever seen in my more than 35 years experience is Propecia. The side effects from this are quite rare. It is designed for the crown only. No other products that I have seen works for hair loss and I feel you're wasting your money. Wait until you are sure you will haveenough donor supply to complete either hair transplants or the Fleming Mayer flap procedure.

PRP as option for hair loss

For your males like you with longstanding hairloss PRP may be the answer. PRP stands for platelet-rich plasma. PRP is blood plasma that has been enriched with platelets. As a concentrated source of autologous platelets, PRP contains several different growth factors and other cytokines that stimulate healing of bone and soft tissue, as well as hair growth. Human blood contains mesenchymal stem cells, and autologous blood products that contain essential and specific growth factors that assist in tissue regeneration and healing. PRP was developed in the 1970′s and first used in Italy in 1987 in an open heart surgery procedure. Published medical literature from around the world confirms the safety and use of PRP therapy in medicine. For the past two decades PRP has been widely used in skin and wound healing, and is now being extensively used in cosmetic surgery, dentistry, sports medicine and pain management.
In the field of hair restoration, evidence supports PRP therapy as a promising treatment to promote hair growth, although no claim an be made of its efficacy. Studies have shown that growth factors released from platelets may act on stem cells in the bulge area of the follicles, stimulating the development of new follicles and promoting neo-vascularization. ( Journal of Aesthetic Cutaneous Surgery, 2014). Since PRP is in the early stages of scientific research for hair loss therapy, PRP is not meant to replace current FDA approved therapies such as DHT blockers and Minoxidil. That being said, PRP is a promising non-surgical option for men and women experiencing hair loss.
How is PRP Hair Loss Therapy performed?Upon arrival at the BioSpa Newport Beach, you will be escorted to one of our private hair restoration treatment rooms. One of our qualified nurses or surgeons will draw your blood just as though you were having routine blood testing at your primary care physician’s office. The drawn blood is then spun in a sterile centrifuge system, which separates the platlete-rich plasma from the rest of the blood. The system eliminates granulocytes which can harm tissue regeneration. A topical anesthesia is applied to the scalp to reduce any discomfort during the PRP treatment. The highly concentrated platelet rich plasma is then injected into the scalp. Your hair will then be washed and you may return to your daily routine. You are able to drive after the procedure.
We recommend a total of 3 treatments scheduled 6 weeks apart. This will vary depending on the severity of hair loss and desired result. Treatment plan will be discussed at your initial consultation.

PRP

You're at the age where I would consider PRP in addition to the use of Rogaine and Propecia.  I suggest 3 sessions of PRP spaced 2 months apart.

Tim Neavin, MD

PRP for Hair Regrowth Has No Side Effects

PRP Platelet Rich Plasma for Hair Regrowth is a "lunchtime" treatment that is derived from your own blood platelets. The concentrated mixture of PRP plus an extracellular matrix like BioD or ACell allows the results to be prolonged for 12-18 months as described in recent research presented at the ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting. HairCheck trichometry is recommended before treatment and every 90 days thereafter to track response to the therapy. 
Be aware that if the density is depleted in the area you are trying to treat, results aside from prevention of loss will be minimal. Substantial improvement in hair caliber and length are seen where the treatment is applied. Improvements in coverage of the scalp occur most noticeably where there are large numbers of weaker hair follicles that can be improved.

Alan Bauman, MD
Boca Raton Hair Restoration Surgeon

Is PRP right for me?

Thanks for your question. I am sorry that you have been suffering with hair loss.  Without a formal examination, it is would be premature to diagnose the cause of your hair loss or recommend a treatment.

In general though, PRP has show excellent results for patients suffering from many forms of hair loss such as androgenic alopecia (or common pattern loss) and alopecia areata. PRP contains potent growth factors that stimualte the hair follicles to grow. The procedure has no significant downtime and is very safe, as the PRP is generated from your own blood.

Overall, the literature is becoming increasingly populated with data supporting PRP for hair (see below for some of the studies from just the year 2015). The limitation of the literature is a formal recommendation on the methodology to perform the PRP and a recommendation on the system to use. There are at least 7 different PRP systems, each with important distinctions. After evaluating the systems, I do believe certain kinds of PRP extraction kits are better for hair, and I would urge you to seek consultation with a clinician who has obtained great results with PRP.

Hope this information helps and that you find the right solution to treat your hair loss.

Studies showing benefit of PRP:

Khatu, Swapna S et al. “Platelet-Rich Plasma in Androgenic Alopecia: Myth or an Effective Tool.” Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery 7.2 (2014): 107–110. PMC. Web. 26 Oct. 2015.

Maria-Angeliki G, Alexandros-Efstratios K, Dimitris R, Konstantinos K. Platelet-rich Plasma as a Potential Treatment for Noncicatricial Alopecias. International Journal of Trichology. 2015;7(2):54-63. doi:10.4103/0974-7753.160098.

Singhal P, Agarwal S, Dhot PS, Sayal SK. Efficacy of platelet-rich plasma in treatment of androgenic alopecia. Asian Journal of Transfusion Science. 2015;9(2):159-162. doi:10.4103/0973-6247.162713.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

PRP - Does it Work?

As of now, we don't have sufficient scientific evidence that PRP has any last longing effect in hair loss treatment.  For that reason, I do not offer it in my practice nor I recommend it to anyone with patterned hair loss.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP Option

PRP can help slow down hair loss and sometimes reverse thinning follicles.  However it requires multiple treatments and once you stop the PRP treatments you will over time of back to your natural pattern of hair loss.  It is a good procedure for the right patient and I have had very good results with PRP with really no side effects.

That being said, medications such as Minoxidil and Propecia are great.  They work very well and risk of "Severe" side effects is very low.  In 2 years I have probably started more than 200 patients on Propecia. I have not yet had 1 patient stop due to a side effect.

Finally, why did your dermatologist advise you that you are not a candidate for a hair transplant.  Looking at the pictures from the back of your scalp, your donor zone seems to look good. I would recommend maybe following up with a hair transplant surgeon in your area that specializes in this procedure to see whether you are a candidate or not.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Platelet Rich Plasma for male hair loss

Watch this video to see Dr. Edward Dickerson personally answer your PRP question! Get to know your options and find out if PRP is right for you.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant is not right for your age or diffuse pattern of hair loss, but there are options to treat thinning hair

Thank you for your question. I understand you’re 26-years-old and experiencing hair loss. You visited a dermatologist and they recommended that you pursue PRP treatment, as they say you are not a candidate for a hair transplant. You’re hesitant about taking finasteride or minoxidil, because of the side effects, so you’d like to know more about PRP.

To give you a bit about my background – I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I’m also the founder ofTrichostem™ Hair Regeneration centers, which offer a non-surgical alternative hair loss solution using platelet-rich plasma, so I can certainly give you some perspective on the matter.

In your case, you’re asking if you have telogen effluvium, however, based on your photos and your history, I suspect that the dermatologist you consulted may have diagnosed you with male pattern hair loss. If that’s the case, I am inclined to agree with your dermatologist’s assessment that you are not a good candidate for a hair transplant because diffuse hair lossis very difficult to manage since there isn’t an area that you won’t be losing hair as a side-effect of the transplant. In addition to this, a young man such as yourself, with aggressive hair loss progression, is likely not going to have enough hair to use in a transplant to achieve good volume and density.

Since you are not a candidate for a hair transplant, and you are hesitant to take hair loss drugs like finasteride, your treatment options are limited. Finasteride does help about 60% of men as a DHT blocker.

However, we do perform a treatment in our practice that does not involve either. What we’ve done is combine extracellular matrix with platelet-rich plasma in a treatment we call Hair Regeneration.

Platelet-rich plasma is truly remarkable. We use it for a number of indications – dark under eye circles, acne scars, scar revisions, skin complexion improvement and hair loss.So if someone like yourself comes to our practice, we actually recommend Hair Regeneration treatment as a first line treatment. It fills a very important need that cannot be met by hair loss drugs and surgery.

Initially, Hair Regeneration was developed to help improve the results of hair transplants and improve donor area healing; however, we discovered that a wonderful side-effect caused thinning hair to grow thicker. With this treatment, we are able to stop the progression of hair loss.I spent a few years developing a system and process where instead of doing a hair transplant, we do the Hair Regeneration injection.

Keep in mind that Hair Regeneration works most effectively when there is still existing hair present on the scalp.The general rule of thumb is that if an area of skin is smooth (completely bald) for 5 years or more, then it’s not likely we can treat that area. However, if your hair is thinning, the treatment can thicken hair and reverse the hair thinning process, thereby stopping hair loss. So far, more than 99% of male patients and more than 90% of female patients have responded very well to the treatment.

I recommend that you meet with an experienced and skilled physician who performs this type of treatment and try to learn more about this combination treatment. I say “combination” because I don’t feel thatPRP alone is effective enough. PRP used on its own can stimulate hair growth but only for a limited time, and cannot stop the progression of hair loss.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

If your doctor says PRP may work for you but you are having doubts, you should see another doctor for a second opinion.

If your doctor says PRP may work for you but you are having doubts, you should see another doctor for a second opinion.  Photos cannot give you a diagnosis or a prognosis of treatment plans.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon