How can I fix my (female) androgenic alopecia due to PCOS? (Photo)

I was diagnosed w/ PCOS 7 years ago, but had symptoms since 15. I am now 25. With a lot of exercise, complete change in diet, metformin & spironolactone, I could lose 25 lbs+. Acne was really bad & I more recently managed to control it w/ a higher dose of Spiro (200mg) & RetinA. However, the hair loss I suffered on the top of my head for 7+ years is very bad, and embarrassing. What do you recommend for my head to look normal again? IDK if it will ever regrow, so I'm open to surgery, transplants.

PRP and LLLLT are good options for hair loss secondary to PCOS

Platelet rich plasma (PRP) and Low Level Lasers are good treatment options - considering that you have already been on antiandrogens as well. These may be combined with peptides which help in prolonging the anagen (growth ) phase. 
Good luck!

India Dermatologist

Hair loss from PCOS - options

In general, options for women with PCOS include:
1. minoxidil 
2. spironolactone
3. low level laser therapy
4. platelet rich plasma
5. hair transplantation. 

You are a candidate for hair transplantation (in the mid-scalp area) based on the photos uploaded, so you may want to learn more about this option and visit several surgeons. Preventing further loss is important - so minoxidil, low level laser and PRP are important to learn about. 

Spironolactone must never be used during pregnancy. It causes irregular periods in 80 % of women. If periods are irregular, women in PCOS should consider an oral contraceptive to help regulate the periods. This may reduce the risk of some types of cancers. Speak to an endocrinologist, gynaecologist or dermatologist who specialists in PCOS should periods be irregular. 

How can I fix my (female) androgenic alopecia due to PCOS?

Greeting

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

If you have hair loss due to a medical condition such as PCOS, the best treatment is to treat the underlying cause.

If you have hair loss due to a medical condition such as PCOS, the best treatment is to treat the underlying cause.  If you treat your medical condition such as PCOS your hair loss should improve.  For further treatment you need to see your doctor for options.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon