Is it safe to have PRP after Hair Transplant surgery, or could it cause the hair to fall out?

i di hair transplanted surgery since 5 month and doctor told my you should do prp to imprvoe the hair transplnted .my question is it good??.after do prp my grown hair is fall or no ??

PRP + Hair Transplant Safety

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Watch this video to see Dr. Edward Dickerson personally answer your PRP question! Get to know your options and find out if PRP is right for you.

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

PRP plus hair transplannts

I believe the jury is still out in post transplant..  We are getting good results in patients that have had transplants when we combine PRP with minoxidil and skin rolling. The transplant literature supports PRP as a adjunct with promise. Double blind studies are lacking.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Prp

Prp is rich in a compound known as VEGF. VEGF stimulates new blood vessel growth and theoretically can help graft survival. I use prp both before and after my procedures and some patients even maintain the grafts without a shedding period. I am a believer that prp is great before, during and after a hair transplantation.

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP, platelet rich plasma after hair transplant.

PRP or platelet rich plasma is beginning to show promising results at stimulating and maintaining hair growth alone or together with hair transplantation. If it is five months out from your hair transplantation, you will not jeopardize your grafts with PRP.  If you are not seeing a robust result, you may want to consider it.  The results are somewhat transient, and may require additional maintenance therapy in six months to a year.  You may also want to consider  LED light therapy, minoxidil and finestaride as additional supportive measures.

Arthur N. Falk, MD
Albany Facial Plastic Surgeon

PRP is VERY safe

PRP following hair transplant surgery is a very safe option for patients wanting to nourish their new hair grafts.  When PRP is used in conjunction with hair transplant surgery patients have been shown to experience increased healing rates, higher retention of transplanted follicles, and growth of the grafts occurring sooner than patients who do not utilize PRP in their recovery.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Is it safe to have PRP after a hair transplant?

I routinely recommend PRP in conjunction with hair transplant for my hair restoration patients. PRP can be performed before, during, or after a hair transplant session. I consider PRP an additional treatment that can help with the overall hair restoration result just like minoxidil, propecia, and others.

I always recommend seeing a fellowship-trained hair restoration surgeon to discuss all hair restoration options in detail.

Matthew Richardson, MD
Frisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Great question

While there is no good studies that show that PRP will improve a hair transplant, I have seen it "wake up" follicles that have been slow to grow at the 6 month interval. I generally don't routinely use PRP with hair transplants unless growth is behind the curve.

Tim Neavin, MD

It is probably safe to have PRP after hair transplant surgery but there is no need for PRP for the success of surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP after a hair transplant may help a bit, but a PRP combination treatment can help density, graft survival and overall results

I’m a board certified cosmetic surgeon practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. Hair transplant has been a very big part of my practice. Recently, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) has really been a tremendous area of benefit to our patients not just for hair but also in other areas such as the skin, scars and wrinkles treatment.

While PRP will not do much on its own for hair thinning, we’ve developed a treatment called Hair Regeneration which is a combination of platelet-rich plasma and Acellular matrix - this is a standalone treatment for hair thinning. In fact, we’ve reached a point where we have done so few transplants because of the success of this treatment. For people who come to us with thinning hair who want a transplant, we explain to them that they can get better results by doing Hair Regeneration. Unfortunately, if someone has areas that are completely bald, then transplant is the only option.

This treatment has also been a tremendous interest for patients who had a transplant. They understand that not all the hair that gets transplanted survives. With FUEs, it’s not uncommon for 30% of the hairs to not make it because of transection or hair grafts damaged at the roots. In addition, the number of grafts that can potentially heal may be down to 50%. When hair is transplanted next to existing hairs, there is trauma to those native hairs that result in collateral loss. Patients who get transplants don’t see a dramatic improvement because the hair gets traumatized by the incisions made to place the grafts. This is why we don’t do transplants as a primary procedure, now have the Hair Regeneration injection as our primary hair loss treatment.

For patients who had the transplants, ideally it’s better to come within a month to 3 months after transplant surgery. During this healing phase, there may be an opportunity to help the grafts, especially if you had FUEs. When FUE grafts are actually harvested, majority go beyond the true permanent donor zone. While surgeons know that they are harvesting hairs susceptible to thinning, they rationalize it to get the number of grafts they need. However, I see it as borrowing from the future because if you are going to take hairs that are at risk of thinning, then you may not have that hair in the future.

Hair Regeneration can help protect and thicken those hairs in a combined way. This may also need to be repeated, but we don’t know that yet because we have up to 5 years of data. The majority of the people we have treated were from the past 3 years.

I think that PRP on its own can certainly be helpful but Hair Regeneration method is actually considerably more effective. You have an opportunity to try to save your existing hair as well as maximize the survivability of the grafts. Remember that there’s a critical period where the graft has to take otherwise it’s not salvageable. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

PRP After Hair Transplant Surgery

Platelet Rich Plasma has very little support (if anything) in terms of convincing evidence. The procedure requires first wounding the skin before applying the plasma. It is known that when the skin heals from such injuries, part of the process involves the formation of new hair follicles.

If any hair does emerge from this process, it is extremely minimal. And it is not clear if this growth can be attributed to the PRP or the creation of the wounds.

More than anything, the results of your hair transplant would depend on how well the grafts were selected (follicles which are in the process of miniaturizing would not produce long term success) and how the follicles were stored and handled.

Also, avoid using harsh chemicals on your head as well as hair pieces 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon