Is it safe to get a root canal 8 hours after a botox treatment?

I am scheduled to have botox on my masseter and terporal muscles due to TMJ. I might also get some botox on my horizontal forehead lines. I've also scheduled to have a root canal on the same day, but about 8 hours later .

Root Canal after Botox

Thank you for your question. It is most likely safe to have a root canal after receiving Botox injections, however I would still advise you to wait at least a day to help avoid any complications. If you still have any concerns please contact your treating physician. Best of Luck! 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Root Canal after Botox

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Botox

There should be no issue having this done on the same day. I usually tell my patients not to lie down for 4 hours after their treatment so as long as you wait longer than this, there should be no issue.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Botox

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Root canal after Botox?

Hello.

If you were my patient, I would not have a problem with the root canal 8 hours after Botox. The Botox should be fully absorbed by then.

Good luck, Dr. Aldo

Root canal after Botox?

Hello.

Good luck, Dr. Aldo

Completely safe

As both a medical doctor and dentist, it is completely safe. The Botox in injected in the muscle, and the root canal treatment only involves drilling into the tooth, cleaning out the root canal, and filling it. Even though the treatments are in near vicinity of each other, it is completely safe in my opinion.

Mitchell Kim, MD
Gold Coast Physician

Completely safe

Mitchell Kim, MD
Gold Coast Physician

Since botulinum toxin is absorbed into the muscles within 2-4 hours it should be safe to have your injection on the same day.  I'd of course follow your plastic surgeon's recommendation and advice.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Botox/Xeomin/Dysport for TMJ and Root Canal Timing

It is most likely safe to have both of these procedures on the same day. I recommend following up with your Doctor and Dentist and following their recommendations. Best, Dr. Emer

Timing for Botox and a root canal?

Hello euneun,

Thanks for your question. I am very conservative when it comes to elective procedures and safety in the face of "other treatments". It is fairly safe to assume your root canal is not elective but more a necessity for quality of life hence I would delay your Botox treatment until at least a day after the root canal. I am a big believer in letting "the dust settle" on one issue before adding additional variables. Best wishes on your treatments. 

Timing for Botox and a root canal?

Hello euneun,

Root canal after masseter injection

Although it is probably ok, I would recommend waiting at leas a day to have the Botox done. Have the root canal first and after all is well then the Botox to avoid any possible issue from pressure

Root canal after masseter injection

Personally, I would reschedule.

You will be fine either way most likely.  However, the endodontist is spreading a lot of bacteria on your face.  Because the botox service is entirely elective and the root canal is not so elective, I would recommend rescheduling the Botox service.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Personally, I would reschedule.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Activity after Botox

I would NOT recommend having a dental procedure within a few hours of having facial Botox/Xeomin/Dysport injections. The position changes and facial pressure involved in a dental procedure risks displacing the Botox away from the areas it was injected with resultant temporary paralysis of muscles that weren't intended to be treated. Migration of Botox after forehead injections could result in drooping of the eyebrows or eyelids. I'd recommend waiting a couple of days after Botox injection before proceeding with a dental procedure (or get the Botox anytime after the dental procedure has been done).

Activity after Botox