Crooked septum after rhinoplasty (Photo)

I had corrective rhinoplasty 10 days ago to repair my nose that was crooked from being broken 7 years ago. Now as my swelling is decreasing, I see that my septum is almost exactly in the same spot that it was before. As you can see, the nose is still swollen, but a bottom view shows how crooked it still is. I'm devastated. Is there anything that my surgeon can do in the short term, or do I have to wait 18 months & have another surgery? Will I have to pay? I was not warned about this possibility.

Crooked Nose

Hi Lizzy,

Thank you for your question. Truly, fixing a crooked nose is one of the most difficult things in rhinoplasty surgery. In my experience, once the cast is removed the nose should be dramatically straighter but not always 100% straight. You are very early in the game. Even though you are anxious to see the final result, I would not recommend any intervention right now. You need to wait (not 18 months) many months before the swelling will come down and you will be able to see the result, 6 months at least. Please go to our website and look at the before-and-after gallery for some examples of crooked noses corrected. 

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked septum after nose surgery

It is very early yet to assess your surgery results. Swelling inside the nose, including the skin lining over the septum, can create the appearance of a persistent septal deviation that ends up improving quite a bit as the area heals.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Swelling left nostril

The fullness in your left nostril could well be swelling of the mucosa where all the work was done on moving the septum  -especially considering it is only 10 days since surgery - by 6 months this should have settled

10 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only 10 days after a rhinoplasty. Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD