Can rhinoplasty cause constant sinus infections after the surgery? I didn't have them before.

I had rhinoplasty/septoplasty 1.5 years ago. My nose size was reduced and my breathing worsen since the surgery. I started getting colds/sinus infections every 2 months sometimes every month. First I thought it was work stress related. But now I am thinking there is something wrong with my nose. I didn’t get colds that often before. Can rhinoplasty cause constant sinus infections?

Can rhinoplasty cause sinus problems?

Yes, any surgery can affect your body i different ways. Since the size of the nose is smaller with a rhinoplasty, the inside passage are also smaller which may cause some blockage. I tell my patients that many times their noses will run more or they will be drier but definitely changed. That is why Barbara Streisand and Celine Dion had conservative rhinoplasties, just basically removing the humps to try and obviate any problems with their singing!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Sinusitis and rhino

A rhinoplasty cannot really cause sinusitis post surgery so any relation is purely coincidental this far down the track in my opinion 

Sinus Infections After Septorhinoplasty

Sinus infections after septorhinoplasty may or may not be related to your surgery, and could be coincidental.  You would need a thorough nasal examination and a CT scan of the sinuses to figure this out.  You also mentioned breathing problems, which can be a side effect after rhinoplasty.  To determine this, I recommend seeing a facial plastic surgeon who also does sinus surgery. He or she would be able to deal with both problems.  Best of luck. 

Raj P. TerKonda, MD, FACS

Sinus infections

Thank you for the question and the simple answer is YES but an examination is needed to see if surgery to your nose is now contributing to difficulty breathing and sinus infections.  so see your surgeon or other expert in the area.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD