I have a hump on the left side of my nose. It feels very thin and pointy. The right side is just normal (Photo)

What do you think it is? It feels like a very pointy skinny bone also makes that side of my nose upper lateral cartilage collapse causing a indentation

Dorsal Nasal Spur

Thank you for your question and photos.  I call this a "dorsal nasal spur".  This is seen in thin-skinned patients and is a deformity of the junction of the nasal bone and upper lateral cartilage.  And as you mentioned, it is typically associated with a depression of the cartilage. Correction would require a rhinoplasty to gently file down the bone and support the upper lateral cartilage.  I hope this helps!

Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps and Bumps

Based on you photos, the bony prominence appears to be due to step off between the nasal bones the underlying nasal cartilages. This is often caused by previous trauma but can be genetic as well.

A cosmetic rhinoplasty the surgery of choice to correct these deformities and reposition the tissue in the nose for better aesthetics. This often involves removing the dorsal humps and narrowing the width of the nose. This can be achieved through a closed or open approach but is typically done in the OR under anesthesia. 

See the link below for more info.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best treatment. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

David Tauber, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Bone?

It is likely that the bump you feel is either bone or cartilage. It is best to be seen in person, but the only way to permanently remove it is by rhinoplasty.

I have a hump on the left side of my nose. It feels very thin and pointy. The right side is just normal

Greetings

Thank you for your question and photos. 

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Left Nasal Hump

Thanks for your question.  That thin raised area can be due to either prominent nasal cartilage or bone.  It is likely more prominent on you due to your thin skin and likely previous nasal trauma in the past.  Don't worry it can easily be fixed thru a rhinoplasty.  Please see a qualified rhinoplasty surgeon for best results.

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question. This is likely but could also be cartilage.  This can be fixed with a rhinoplasty.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can perform a nasal examination and provide you with an accurate opinion on what is causing the hump and what can be done to correct it because it could be a number of things causing it which really cannot be determined over the computer. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Nose irregularity

Thank you for the question and photo.  The irregularity can be any number of things from a skin issue to a cartilage or  bone issue.  Have you had surgery on your nose in the past?  Has there been an injury recently?  Is the area tender?  Is the bump movable or fixed?

As you can see, there are many different possibilities and a proper diagnosis will require a more detailed discussion as well as an examination.  I would reach out to your primary care doctor or to a plastic surgeon if you have not done so already.  

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD