I had gynecomastia surgery in which only the gland was removed.

Good morning, first of all, I was told that I would have liposuction + the gland removed. It appears (from my view) that only my nipples have decreased in size, the size of my chest remains. Note, I am relatively fit and not a fat dude, will I be able to lose the boobs through exercise since the actual gland is removed? I don't have pics atm unfortunately. Please, any advice. Is It possible that surgeon did lipo, and that it just looks the same as before?

If you did not have a "fatty" tissue in excess amount it is possible that the final result has nothing to do with lipo. The #gynecomastia procedure is intended to correct the deformity under the nipples. 

Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in #gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

When to Consider Gynecomastia Surgery Revision

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Technique for Gynecomastia

Only your surgeon knows the technique(s) used for your chest contouring.  If you have concerns allow 3-6 months to pass then re-evaluate your result.  If you do not see the improvement desired then seek a second opinion for revision and discuss the methods that will be employed if a revision is necessary.

Gynecomastia

It is difficult to help without photos.  I is typical to use liposuction in managing gynecomastia. It is less typical to use excision, alone.  The diameter of the areolar complex is often reduced at the same time.  If you breasts still appear too large, and your weight is not ideal, then weight loss and exercise will decrease their size. If that is not the case, you may require a secondary liposuction...perhaps laser energy assisted...to help idealize your breast shape.  

Mark A. Brzezienski, MS, MD, FACS
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

In many instances of Gynecomastia surgery, both removal of the glandular tissue, and liposuction of the chest is needed to contour the breast and chest area. Glandular tissue is partially removed so as not to get a concavity at the nipple, but maintain a natural look.
Ask your doctor what was done exactly and the operative note should document what was done exactly.

Gynecomastia

Without before and after photos it is impossible to know what was done in your surgery.  Check in with your surgeon to discuss your recovery and exactly what was done in the procedure.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD