Loss of Pec Outside Lines/Definition after Gynecomastia/Liposuction (5 weeks post Op) (Photo)

I don't see my dr. for a few weeks but was interested in some opinions. I had minor gland removal and 250cc a side of fibrofatty tissue removed via UAL. My chest looked fuller pre surgery from the fat and had greater lines of the outside sweep of the pec and underneath. Now that a lot of fat has been taken out my chest looks like a straight board. To some this would be an okay result but I had an interest in competing in natural bodybuilding. Chance this swelling & I'll get my lines back?

5 Weeks Post Op

It's still soon into your healing. Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Fibrofatty excision

As you stated that only fibrofatty tissue was removed, I would expect you definition will improve as swelling decreases and you can return to chest workouts to increase your muscle mass.  Good luck with your competitions. As you know, judges don't like gynecomastia and you no longer have that.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Loss of Chest Definition

Thank you for your picture.  Your before picture shows excellent chest contour.  I am a bit surprised you had surgery.  Your chest definition may not return as you had it prior to surgery.  You may have to redefine your chest with muscle bulk and definition via weight lifting.  Wait and judge the results at 6 months.

FINAL RESULTS

Hello. At five weeks, there is definitely still swelling that can hide your desired definition. Therefore, at this time you are not seeing final results. Actually final results are evident between three and six months after surgery. Also, the necessary rest that is usually indicated after surgery reduces the volume in the pectorals, because they are not being worked out as usual. I suggest waiting a little longer and consulting with your surgeon to get his or her expert opinion.

Jaime Caloca, Jr., MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon