Should glands be completely removed for Second Gynecomastia surgery?

I will be looking to get my second gynecomastia surgery. Workout supplement induced, never had it growing up. Since the glands weren't removed completely they have grown. Once I have this done a second time I don't want the glandular lumps coming back.

Gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for your question. Complete excision of the glands may result in a depression underneath your areola. If your glands are growing again, you may also want to look for additional causes that may be contributing to your gynecomastia. A visit with an endocrinologist may also be a wise pre surgical screening option. As far as the surgery, if complete glandular resection is needed, then you will need some reconstruction to fill the defect.   I would visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options and your circumstances in more detail .

Should Glands be Completely Removed for Second Gynecomastia Surgery

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Second surgery

yes you should definitely get the breast tissue/glands removed.  I treat a lot of guys that take testosterone or other workout supplements and in my practice I always remove as much fat and breast tissue as possible

DSR

David S. Rosenberg, MD

Gynecomastia Recurrance

Hello. The breast gland is the end-organ and it will react to external stimulus. Regrowth caused by supplements usually requires a new surgical intervention. A small amount of breast gland is required for nipple survival and also to provide a natural contour. I suggest stopping the use of supplements and consulting your physician. A new surgery is a definite possibility. 

Jaime Caloca, Jr., MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia TX

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection. 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering? 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?

Mordcai Blau, MD

All glandular tissue needs to be removed

Stop taking those supplements.  All glandular tissues will need to be removed at your next surgery.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Revision gynecomastia surgery

The need for secondary revision is always possible.  One of the biggest factors is how much gland tissue you had at the original surgery.  Like fat cells, any that are not completely removed can continue to grow.  100% removal is the goal, but in reality, usually there are some cells left. As a mens physique athlete myself, and a specialist in cosmetic surgery for athletes, I have more understanding of the side effects of some of the "sport supplements" that are required.  Sport supplements and/or hormones (especially pro hormones) there can be a "miracle grow effect" on the gland tissue in men.  I have several athletes that I work with that have had this problem.  Critical to take the correct hormones and anti-estrogen medication, to minimize these side effects.  Another factor in the appearance is how low your body fat percentage is.  A BF% of 10-15%, you probably won't notice much.  But when you get around 7% or lower, it becomes glaringly obvious.  For those reasons, I tell my athletes to wait unit their offseason to do the surgery.  The surgery is easier to perform, and also my athletes are not taking the full-supplement/hormone cocktails.  
Definitely make an in-person consultation with a PS to evaluate you and discuss your options. 

Hope that helps some and best wishes!
Dr Morales
Houston, Tx 

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Gynecomastia

Yes, I have seen this in patients after doing surgery. We always leave a small amount of gland beneath the nipple to prevent it from dipping in. Over the counter "suppliments" are often loaded with various steroids and can cause a recurrence.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon