Can I Get Rid of This Nasal Hump Without Surgery? And if Not, What Must Be Done to Have a Better Profile? (photo)

I'm "okay" with how my nose looks from the front; The only thing that seriously bothers me is the fact that I can notice my "little bump/hump" in pictures. I don't remember having it when I was a child, so I'm wondering if it came from me wearing glasses (i.e. my glasses putting too much pressure on that part of my nose). The hump is right where my glasses sit, so if that were the cause I would assume that it just developed over time. I'm hoping it can be easily fixed.

Doctor Answers 14

Nasal Humps and Bumps

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The highest part of the nasal bride, often referred to as the Hump or bump, is usually the result of inherited traits, prior accidents, or both. To flatten out this area, which is usually made of both bone and cartilage, requires surgery to do it permanently and accurately. There are temporary procedures, such as using fillers, but this can be unpredictable and short lied. Some fillers can cause inflammatory reactions and leave you with permanent damage to the skin.

The best advice is to visit with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss what your best options are.


Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Rhinoplasty without Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It appears you have a slight hump on your nose.  This can be softened with some filler above and below to make it appear straighter.  Use a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane or Juvederm for this.  In the hands of an experienced injector this can make a powerful change in 10 minutes.  Hope this was helpful.




Dr D.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Nose bump

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes. I have seen the weight of glasses cause thickening of the kind you have.

But normal development can too. 

Recently long lasting fillers have been used to smooth out small nose irregularities. They can work nicely. They do need to be repeated every year or so.

Do not use a permanent filler. If it doesn't work, it's hard to remove.

See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or ENT Surgeon for a full nasal evaluation to find out if a filler is a good step for you.


You might also like...

Rhinoplasty to get rid of a dorsal hump

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage, and  the only way to get rid of bone/cartilage is to surgically shave down the hump. Osteotomies of the nasal bones may also be required to prevent an open roof deformity.  Wearing glasses will not create a nasal hump. Hump removal rhinoplasty is relatively straightforward for an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. 

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Nasal Hump reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Elaine

You have 2 options available to you:

  1. Surgical: That is a formal rhinoplasty to removed the hump and reshape your nose
  2. Non-Surgical: This involves a filler injected lower than the hump to camouflage the hump. This of course is a temporary solution which needs reinjecting about once a year. You can ask your surgeon to inject saline in the area which gives a very quick augmentation, if you like it, then you can proceed with the filler.

I hope this helps and good luck.



Filler and hump

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A small hump may be camouflaged with filler but they are not permanent.  usually a rhinoplasty can take care of it permanently.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Removal of Nasal Hump Without Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Nose naturally change as a child matures; your glasses did not cause the hump. Surgery is necessary to remove that hump permanently. Fillers can be used to straighten your profile but remember that this will be temporary and make your nose bigger.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Dermal filler can be used to camouflage a bump on the nasal bridge in the office without surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dermal filler can be used to camouflage a bump on the nasal bridge in the office without surgery. The treatment is temporary but will provide the results that you're seeking without surgery. A small amount would be injected above the bump and below the bump between it and the tip of your nose. From the limited images it does appear that you have a deep radix and putting some filler above the bump in this area will also refine the appearance of your nasal profile.

Thank you for your question.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

You may be a candidate for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty to minimize the appearance of the bump on the bridge of your nose.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

In my practice, a small profile bump like yours may be managed without nose job surgery by injecting filler above and below the bump. My personal preference is to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 435 reviews

How to soften bump on top of nose? (photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This small "hump" on top of nose is NOT from your eyeglasses.  In agreement with other responders, the simplest fix is injectable filler above and below the rise.  Aquamid is very long lasting and has a natural texture.  Radiesse, Juvederm, and/or Perlane/Restylane also possibilities.  Rhinoplasty is the alternative.

Steve Laverson, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 50 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.