How long does it take for nose tip and nostril swelling to go away after Rhinoplasty?

I had a rhino-septoplasty around 3.5 months ago. I like the results but I do feel sometimes that my nostrils are a bit swollen as well as the tip. The upper bridge of the looks perfect but I currently hate how my nostrils and tip look. I know that tip swelling takes long time to go away, but nostrils swelling as well?

3.5 months post rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon in the early stages of rhinoplasty recovery to see some asymmetries.  Often these asymmetries resolve themselves during the healing period.  It is usually 6 months before the nose is completely healed.  Even though it is difficult, it is important to be patient during the early healing phase. Best of Luck!

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal swelling

Yes, it can take a year or more for the swelling to subside.  Be patient with the results.  All the best..

Thank you for your question.It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are fairly early in your recovery period and your nose is still healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness or enlargement. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Post-operative Swelling

Thank you for your question!  Yes, you are correct that swelling in the nose after rhinoplasty does take some time to resolve.  In fact, the majority of the residual swelling will occur in the tip and ala, which will affect the nostrils as well.  At 3.5 months, you will still have some edema (swelling) that simply will take some time to resolve.  I will usually advise that a final result should not be assessed before 6 months.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon, as well.  I hope that this helps!
-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

4 months post op. some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for your question. The healing process for a rhino-septoplasty differs for each patient based on their procedure and their natural healing process as a unique human being. Most of the swelling and bruising you experience should subside by the 4-6 month post op mark. Please consult with your board certified facial surgeon to review all recovery instructions. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon