Results from Gynecomastia Surgery After 6 Months - Puffy Nipples?

I got surgery for ginecomastia (gland+lipo) 6 months ago. From a month after the surgery my nipples started to get puffy again. It has been 6 month after the surgery, my nipples are still puffy, the doctor is saying that until 12 months it will not be flat and that the scares inside are making them puffy. I can notice a lumb underneath both nepples, doc says that those are scares but I think they are gland. It is normal to have the nipples puffys after 6 months from surgery? Thanks.

Puffy nipples after Gynecomastia treatment

usually puffy nipples are either caused by excess breast gland under the nipple or by excess scar tissue. In either case, you might consider excising breast tissue through a very small incision through the areola.

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

After #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Post op concerns

Minimal gauze dressing is applied following the procedure and an easily concealed support elastic garment is usually worn to minimize swelling and help skin to contract for a 3-4 weeks following surgery. Sutures are typically removed within 7 to 10 days of surgery.
Patients engage in gentle activities of daily living for the first 10 days. No aerobic exercise for at least 3 weeks. Patients may take gentle walks after a few days.

Puffy Nipples After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi rff,

Thanks for the post. Typically six months is enough time for the healing process to have settled significantly.  The fact that your nipples began getting puffy again a month after surgery points more to the fact that it is likely scar tissue formation. If it were residual gland, they would have been puffy right after surgery. There are massage techniques and even kenalog injections that may help break up the scar tissue. If that does not work, then you may need a revision surgery.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Lumps under areola

You may want to get a second opinion, or return to your surgeon to talk about your results. Massage may help but you'll most likely benefit from revision surgery.

See your plastic surgeon

During the healing and recovery process, there should be communication between you and your surgeon. If you are not happy, this should be communicated with your surgeon. Ask how and when revision surgery is performed. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

6 months should be enough time for the majority of swelling to have resolved

Under normal circumstances, 6 months should be enough time for the great majority of swelling to have resolved following gland excision and liposuction of gynecomastia. 

Possible reasons for persistent subareolar swelling would include under-resection of the glandular tissue, post-op bleeding into the subareolar “dead space” with subsequent thick scar formation, regrowth of the gynecomastia glandular tissue, or post-operative weight gain in the case of pseudo-gynecomastia.

Treatment of residual “puffy nipples” would depend on the exact cause.  Thick scar tissue can be treated with aggressive massage and/or corticosteroid injections directly into the scar tissue.

Under-resection of the gland or regrowth may require additional surgery to correct and possibly a thorough endocrine evaluation to rule out a continued stimulus for the growth of the breast tissue. 

Persistent or worsening fatty deposits in the breast area may be treated with additional liposuction, and post-operative weight gain should be addressed with a healthy diet and exercise.

I hope this answers your question.  Good luck!

Gynecomastia Surgery Results?

It sounds like the correct operation was done to treat the gynecomastia.  The tissue you are feeling may be either scar tissue or residual breast gland.

You have to be careful not to remove too much tissue and end up with a contour deformity/depression.

Puffy Nipples.will be better or not after 6 months?

It is hard to answer this question accuretly without examinanig you.But generally in most,but not all cases,6 months is enough.In certain cases,that are coplex,large or saggy male breasts, it can take a year or more. Most of the swelling had subsided,but scares may remain and palpable for a longer period.All of this is true assuming the surgeon had excised the glandular tissue and removed enogh fatty tissue. I hope is has improved by now.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Persistent nipple puffiness after gynecomastia reduction

After 6 months, the residual puffiness of the nipples is not likely to improve. It is either the result of residual hard breast tissue that remains if only liposuction was originally done or scar tissue if an open gynecomastia procedure was done. It is not rare in my experience with the male gynecomastia patient. About 1/3 of men will return for a secondary revisional procedure for exactly the problem of the persistent puffy nipple issue.