Can I Rectify Sunken Chest After Gynecomastia with Incline Dumbbell Fly?

It has been 7 years since I have undergone gynecomastia surgery. On reading some of the answers here, I understand that my surgeon has removed too much tissue. My sunken chest looks ugly. When I touch the area it feels hollow. Can I improve it by doing incline dumbbell fly and by taking a lot of protein? Please help.

Doctor Answers 8

Can I Rectify Sunken Chest After Gynecomastia with Incline Dumbbell Fly

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Hyderabad,

Thanks for the post. A goto would be helpful to give you more directed advice.  Depending on the severity of the concavity muscle building may help. However if there is significant concavity, then it would need to be replaced. The most straightforward approach is to perform liposuction and then transfer the fat to the areas of concavity. This may need to be repeated if there is fat resorption. 


Dr. Dadvand

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Can I Rectify Sunken Chest After Gynecomastia with Incline Dumbbell Fly?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Pictures would be very helpful in answering this question.  Certainly increasing the muscle bulk of your chest would help with its appearance.  However, if you have deep contouring irregularities, this may require fat grafting or other revision surgery.  See your surgeon for details.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

Indentation after gynecomastia surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

It is not at all uncommon to have an indentation after gynecomastia surgery, especially if you had considerable volume removed.  Correction of this can be achieved with fat transfer to the area. Consult with your plastic surgeon to further discuss these options. 

Best of luck,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Correction of a Sunken Chest Deformity after Man Breast Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Modern Liposuction techniques have enabled us to improve the vast majority of Gynecomastia (Man Boobs") cases. Unfortunately, a slight over-removal of breast tissue may result in a sunken area ("Shot Glass Deformity") where the scar becomes adherent to the chest wall. Such areas can be improved with minimal undermining and placing fat grafts thereby raising the depression. Merely working on the Pectoralis muscle will not correct the area of depression. Good Luck. Dr. Peter Aldea

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Gynecomastia overcorrection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Improvement could be achieved via muscle growth with exercise. However, the use of fat grafting via injection is another alternative option.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Correction of Gynecomastia Indentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While strong Pec workouts are great, you would be unlikely to correct a contour deformity after glandular excision. In the past, the only way we could try to treat this was with dermis/fat grafting, where a piece of skin is taken from somewhere else on the body, and placed under the defect to build it up. This didn't ususally work terribly well. 

Nowadays, with advances in our knowledge of fat physiology, we can effectively transplant your own fat along with stem cells to fill in these defects with much greater success. It would be important to have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon!

Verne Weisberg, MD
Portland Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Gynecomastia surgery overdone

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like your surgeon took too much fat and breast tissue out.  Even thin people have a layer of fat under their skin, and if the surgeon overdid it, the skin might be stuck right on the muscle layer.  Bulking up the muscle will not help.  If you are overweight, losing weight could help, as the fatty layer surrounding the indentation thins.  However, it sounds like you'd be better off with fat injections to restore the layer of fat between your skin and muscle.  I have usually seen this deformity when a general surgeon or pediatric surgeon (as opposed to a plastic surgeon) perfromed the surgery.  They either do not understand or do not really care about the aesthetic aspect of this surgery.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have "DISH DEFORMITY". which cased by taking too much breast tissue and fat from the breast.

The only logical treatment is multiple cessions of fat transfer, Some time I have considered a Dermis_fat Graft as well.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.