My cheekbone was pushed in by a fracture one week ago, but the doctor says no to operate. Can I get it fixed?

I had an orbital fracture on my right eye. the maxillofacial surgeon said not to operate, because it was a minor fracture, but my right side no longer has a cheekbone. this doesn't feel minor to me. I feel ugly. I'm thinking about a second opinion.

Cheek bone fracture

So you are likely swollen and unable to discern at this point if the fracture will affect your appearance or not. Obtain a copy of your CT scan and seek a second opinion ASAP, IF the other surgeon feels you could/would benefit from reduction of the fracture then it could still be performed in a fairly straight forward manner at this point in time. IF you wait, it heals into an improper position, then it is much more difficult to re-fracture the bone or to augment the deficient area.

Chin/Cheek Augmentation -- Fillers such as Radiesse, Voluma, Perlane/Fat/Implant

Fillers, implants, sculptra and fat can all be used to augment this area. I suggest seeing an expert in facial sculpting.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Can I get my cheekbone fracture fixed?

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your facial bone fracture.  If most of your facial swelling has resolved and you see a difference in your physical appearance I would strongly urge you to seek a second opinion for possible operative intervention.  Appropriate correction of any displaced or malaligned bones needs to be surgically performed to restore your prior appearance.  Hope this helps. 

My cheekbone was pushed in by a fracture one week ago, but the doctor says not to operate.

Are you unhappy enough about the appearance to have surgery? Find a surgeon who does Facial Plastic Surgery at one of the areas trauma centers for a second consultation. If you feel you will want the surgery don't wait for the consultation.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Fracture

A second opinion is required.  Make sure you bring your xrays/ Cat Scans with you.  If you have a cheek deformity, you will need to be seen Monday or Tuesday.  If the cheek has a deformity, it could be from the cheek bone being fractured and that would need to be repaired within 10 days optimally.  If it is an isolated orbital floor fracture, surgery may not be needed.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

I had an orbital fracture on my right eye. the maxillofacial surgeon said not to operate, because it was a minor fracture, but m

Hi because you are in the so cal area, you might want to go to the Head and Neck Surgery Department at USC Private Hospital and see one of the staff surgeons for a second opinion.  It's critical that an orbital floor fracture be properly evaluated and treated in a timely manner to avoid diplopia (double vision).  The flat aspect of your malar bone might also require surgical intervention.Hope this helps.

Facial Fracture Recommendations

Thanks for your question. You did not indicate the fracture location or post any photos and/or X-rays, CT scans etc. That said, if you feel that something is not right and should be done to fix your injury it seems very reasonable to get another professional medical opinion. Please don't delay. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon