My right cheek seems to be noticeably bigger than my left cheek. is there a natural way to even it out? (photo)

My right cheek is considerably much larger than my left cheek and seems to be pure fat since the corner of my mouth can hardly move right when I smile. I can't tell which side has more muscle but I usually chew with my right side and sleep on my left side. It has been like this for almost my entire life and I look terrible in almost every photo I take. There seems to be so much more fat that if I try to push my smile to the right side, the fat pushes my right bottom eyelid up.

Chin/Cheek Augmentation -- Fillers such as Radiesse, Voluma, Perlane/Fat/Implant

Fillers, implants, microliposuction, buccal fat pad removal can all be used to contour the cheeks/midface.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cheek augmentation options

Hi Cat Dollars.  Your question on whether there is a natural way to even out the right cheek, is a good one.  There is a procedure called a non-surgical cheek lift, which is actually non-surgical facial rejuvenation. There are 3 types: energy transfer (radiofrequency, infrared, etc.) that is used to 'heat' the deeper facial tissues and cause tightening of the face (in your case, the right “larger cheek.”  Another type is volume replacement - the use of fillers or fat to give a more youthful look. Lastly, there are resurfacing procedures (peels, fractionated lasers) – that treat the face superficially and does not tighten deeper tissues that have 'sagged' nor does it restore volume. A combination of these procedures can be considered to correct your issues but the results are subtle, there may be some discoloration which will go away after several weeks, and in some cases, swelling  There will be little recovery period, and you get smoother, tighter, more contoured skin and a big boost to your confidence and self-esteem. For more lasting results, there are 3 basic types of cheek lift surgery — a mini lift, a complete cheek lift and neck lift, or a mid-face lift. A consultation with a board certified cosmetic surgeon can help you understand the options available to you.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Asymmetry

The majority of the population has some asymmetry in their facial structure. The cause of which can be a variety of things, but is most often a difference in volume (as you implied). Facial fillers are a way to even out natural asymmetry by adding more volume to the areas with deficit. One of the best ways to view this is with a practice that has a Vectra facial imaging system. It allows you to see your face split into sides and then two of your left sides together and two of your right sides together. It also gives you the ability to view what your face would look like with filler placed before you have it done.  

Phillip Chang, MD
Leesburg Plastic Surgeon

Cheek asymmetry- and the rest of the face

Often patients focus on the asymmetry of their cheeks.  Often, however, there is an array of asymmetries that go hand in hand with asymmetric cheekbones, such as orbital set, brow height, mandibular contour.It takes an artistic eye to evaluate all these asymmetries and implement an appropriate procedure.It is possible to computer design implants that produce perfect cheek symmetry- but terrible results, because now the other asymmetries that went hand in hand with the asymmetric cheeks have been ignored.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Eye, facial asymmetry common

Unable to give you accurate response without examination or photos. Asymmetry is common among everybody. There are nonsurgical (and surgical) options available, depending on the exact problem.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facial asymmetry

Good question.   You will need to post a photograph.  Facial asymmetry is expected, the only question is the degree.  In your case you describe a significant difference between the two sides of your face. Physicians like to examine the differences because there are many causes of facial asymmetry.

George Orloff, MD, FACS
Burbank Plastic Surgeon