How long after Rhinoplasty do I have to stay in town?

I am planning to have a rhinoplasty in LA in a few months. Financially it's a bit of a strain, so I am trying to plan ahead now. I am wondering what is the minimum number of days I need to stay in town after my Rhinoplasty? Also, is it safe to fly after having the surgery? will it be painful, or cause any damage to my nose?

Length Of Stay Post Rhinoplasty

I have my patients from out of town stay for at least one week post-op so I can evaluate them and remove the splint and sutures. I make sure they’re doing well and have no problems before they leave. I allow my patients to travel by air 7-10 days post-op if they use Afrin spray during take offs and landings. Talk to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon concerning your post-op care  

How Long in Town after Rhinoplasty?

Usually I have patients from other states and countries stay in Beverly Hills for 6 days after a rhinoplasty. Their casts and sutures are removed at that time. It is safe to fly without concerns at that time.

Rhinoplasty recovery

Thank you for your question. The recommended stay for this procedure is about a week in order to make sure everything is healing properly and the cast can be removed. Better check with your chosen surgeon for his or her advice.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Best is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Post op rhinoplasty

We do many out of town patient's rhinoplasties. Usually patients stay in town 1 week. The follow up on the second and 3rd week needs to be meticulous and excellent too. We will often get our network of plastic surgery colleagues in other towns and states to  follow up on the 2nd and 3rd week.

How long after a rhinoplasty do I have to stay in town?

In our practice, we ask patients to stay in town for at least 7-10 days in order to make sure that the healing process is going well, the cast has been removed, and all patient's questions have been answered. The followup appointments are just as important as the actual surgery itself, so keep in mind it's important to revisit your surgeon  in the postoperative healing phase in the first few months after the procedure

It is always best to discuss with your surgeon specifics about post-op and travel. You are probably better off having it done locally so that you can receive post-op care.

Travel after rhinoplasty

I would recommend you stay for at least 2 weeks.  This would allow any swelling involved with intranasal splints to resolve before your flight.  Also it will allow your surgeon to see you both at the week mark and at the 2 week mark postop.  At two weeks you should have a good idea of your final result and can be with your surgeon to discuss this. Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend staying in town 7 days so the cast can be removed by your surgeon.  You will be safe to fly then also.  Ask your surgeon what he/she recommends also.
Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Travel after Rhinoplasty

In my practice many patients travel from out of town and from international locations to have surgery in Houston, Texas. I usually recommend that it is safe to fly after 8-10 days. In general, this has been a safe practice after rhinoplasty. However, each physician may have specific personal recommendations and the correct answer may depend on the type of surgery performed in your case. It would be best to discuss this with your surgeon. Additionally, discuss the appropriate follow up care schedule and the need for examination either locally or in LA for the best recovery. Hope this answer helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon