I'm 6 weeks post surgery for pseudo gynecomastia but I can't see any difference. Should I be concerned? (Photo)

Hi I had lipo to the chest for pseudo gynacomastia 6 weeks ago. I know it's very early but as you can see by the before and after pics there isn't much difference yet. There was no tenderness swelling or bruising around the areola/ lower breast at all which was my main concern. Could it be this area wasn't worked on vigorously enough or would I not necessarily experience pain swelling and bruising? Thanks for your input.

I'm 6 weeks post surgery for pseudo gynecomastia but I can't see any difference. Should I be concerned?

Although your concerns are understandable, I would suggest ongoing time/patience before evaluating the final outcome of the procedure performed. In cases where liposuction surgery alone is performed, it may take several additional months before skin contraction occurs, and for patients to see the final outcome of the procedure performed.

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource, after in person physical examination to determine whether or not significant residual breast and/or adipose tissue is of concern, in the longer term.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

When are Results Noticeable after Gynecomastia Surgery

Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery. Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia. 

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Swelling expected after Gynecomastia Treatment

Still too soon to understand and realize your final result as swelling always happens and it takes several months to obtain your final result.

Thank you for your question and photographs. I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated, and I would recommend you voice your concerns with your surgeon.  They are in a better position to inform you whether you have frank gynecomastia with glandular tissue that needs to be resolved surgically, adipose tissue that needs further liposuction, or swelling that needs more time to resolve.  Hope this helps. 

Not happy with pseudo gynecomastia surgery

Your original PS might be in the best position to assess the seemingly less than optimal results. While it is true that the postop swelling can conceal the results, at three weeks you are supposed to see a significant amount of improvement.

You may want to consider a revision surgery, which may or may not include direct excision of the glandular tissue.

For additional reference, please feel free to visit the link below. I hope it helps and good luck.