Post gynecomastia surgery. When is it safe to start massaging scar tissue that is forming?

currently 3 weeks post surgery. noticing scar tissue developing around where the incision was. i know i am early in my recovery so not sure if it would help or hurt to start to massage it to avoid formation.

Massaging to Soften the Scar Tissue

Most likely your plastic surgeon will inform you at your follow-up appointment as to when you may begin #massaging. She or he will also instruct you on how to properly #massage the area for effective results. In the meantime, the following information about the healing process may help as well. your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their 

Scar massage

Ask your surgeon.  I would usually tell my patients to start massaging the liposuction areas 1-2 weeks after surgery, if that was the main technique used.  You may have to be careful massaging the incision area until 3-4 weeks.  These recommendations are often individualized further depending on scar retraction, seromas, etc.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

When is it safe to start massage after gynecomastia surgery?

In general, it is safe to start scar massage at 3-4 weeks after gynecomastia surgery provided that your doctor is satisfied with the course of your recovery.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia post-op

It is hard to comment without any photos. Best to review post-op care with tyro surgeon.  Best of luck.

Post op massage.

Check with your surgeon to see if okay to start. I usually do start my patients on massage at this time especially is it was all done with liposuction as most of my patients are. Your compression vest also helps with pressure to lessen scar.

Scar Massage

Thank you very much for your question.

I generally recommend beginning scar massage at the 3-4 week mark, assuming the incision has fully healed.  However, different surgeons have different protocols when it comes to this, so I recommend contacting your surgeon's office to get advice that is individualized to you (they know you best).  I wouldn't want to recommend something that is contrary to what your doctor wants you to do.  Best of luck!